• helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I’m shocked we haven’t even seen rumors of an Xbox handheld.

Playstation at least did something.

• echoplex21@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I think internal docs showed that Microsoft is leaving that to other vendors. I have the Legion go and it’s been amazing with GamePass. But I’m starting to buy more games on Steam now 😂

• silentknyght@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I heard a reliable rumor that the Asus handheld was supposed to be essentially that, but Microsoft dropped the ball with the OS support

• smort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yeah I’ve used my Deck as an xcloud terminal quite a bit. If I was only interested in the Xbox ecosystem, I’d definitely go for something like PlayStation’s handheld terminal but for Xbox/xcloud

• money_loo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

And I’m really enjoying the Portal, it’s everything I could hope for in a simple remote play device.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

It’s okay. I’m opposed to it only for it’s forced anti-consumer linear capabilities.

There’s absolutely no reason you shouldn’t be able to run Xbox cloud or Steam Link or use Bluetooth headphones. And the inability to run it on public WiFi is absurd.

But for $200 I can only complain so much.

• money_loo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Well it’s not made for those things, so I’m not upset it doesn’t do them.

And there actually is a reason it doesn’t use Bluetooth headphones, because Bluetooth adds latency and there would be a delay trying to use them for gaming.

You can see this happen now with a lot of VR headsets, the delay from Bluetooth is really noticeable enough to break immersion.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Well it’s not made for those things

Yes that’s the problem.

And there actually is a reason it doesn’t use Bluetooth headphones

Yes, because Sony wants more of your money.

because Bluetooth adds latency

My guy we have had low latency Bluetooth standards for a long time. You are being duped by corporate propaganda. Do a Google for “AptX LL”. I use Bluetooth headphones on my SteamDeck all the time with no observable latency.

• money_loo@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Yes that’s the problem.

Yes, I understand some people wanted it to do or be more, as I said I am not one of those people. I just wanted an awesome remote play device because I was tired of connecting my phone to various things just to get a weak facsimile of my PlayStation.

I won’t be mad if they update it to do more, but I’m certainly not knocking points off the thing simply because it isn’t a Swiss Army knife for gaming. I could use my SteamDeck for that.

My guy we have had low latency Bluetooth standards for a long time. You are being duped by corporate propaganda. Do a Google for “AptX LL”. I use Bluetooth headphones on my SteamDeck all the time with no observable latency.

And yet when I use it I do notice a tiny bit of latency, which is fine for the most part in nearly everything I play, but I’m not sure I’d want to play a rhythm based game on it.

I’m not alone in this either: Steam Desk - Bluetooth audio latency issues

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

I’m not alone in this either: Steam Desk - Bluetooth audio latency issues

You can see the solution in the first reply. The Steam Deck is not a ground-up gaming device, it’s a handheld X86 PC, and that’s great but also makes it harder to do a lot of the things people have come to expect from something like a Nintendo Switch, PlayStation or Xbox.

In short, this is not a limitation of Bluetooth itself, but rather of configuration, which should not be an issue on a single-purpose game streaming device.

Again I would encourage you to look up aptX LL, it’s only 40ms of latency.

• V ‎ ‎ @beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The logic over at Xbox might be that Xbox games already come to PC, and their OEM partners are already shipping devices. Unfortunately the fact is that the problem is Windows itself. The thumb controls on them sucks to use in Windows. Go try an Ally or a Legion. As soon as you leave Armor Crate or Steam Big Picture the experience falls apart. Windows also insists on doing Windows things like updating and rebooting when it feels like it, and on a few occasions I’ve been kicked out of big picture mode because something stole focus.

• meliaesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

You can already play Xbox games on PC, and even VR now, with their game pass. Microsoft and plenty of companies already sell windows hardware.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Yes but you can’t play on a PC with the Xbox OS, which is actually what is desperately needed because Windows currently blows on a handheld.