• Nix@merv.news
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

The article posted literally has zero words that can be read other than the headline without paying.

I think this article might be similar? Seems like they’re still cracking down on shady loot boxes and gacha style game mechanics but trying not to be too strict to not punish game developers that aren’t doing dark pattern style stuff to addict people

Some parts of the article (emphasis mine):

“ Chinese officials rekindled fear that they will start another round of tech crackdowns after the top gaming regulator, National Press and Publication Administration (NPPA), announced on Dec 22 new rules to limit the development of online games, including an unspecified cap on spending by adult players.

Additional restrictions include a ban on rewards for frequent logins and forced player-duels, and even a prohibition on content that violates national security.

As Tencent and NetEase saw their market value plunge by tens of billions of dollars in Hong Kong on Dec 22, the NPPA announced during trading hours the approval of 40 imported gaming titles, including those operated by the two companies. The move did little to help restore investors’ confidence.

The administration said on Dec 23 that it will listen to feedback from stakeholders, including companies and players, to improve the rules.

The sweeping restrictions, which caught industry players and investors off guard on the final trading day before Christmas, reminded many of the brutal tech-sector crackdown of 2021.

That year, various agencies abruptly imposed curbs on sectors from e-commerce to entertainment, reining in Jack Ma-backed Ant Group and Alibaba Group Holding while decimating the online education industry by declaring profits illegal.

Mr Yang Wenfeng, a senior vice-president with Shanghai-based games studio Paper Games, said: “The latest events reflect the government’s desire for a larger, more diverse gaming landscape with innovative content of a higher quality but one without excessive monetisation or ‘pay-to-win’ games.

“The government prefers publishers to earn profits through fair practices and product innovation, rather than deepening monetisation strategies””

I dont like the whole censoring of “national security” cuz I know that will extend to criticism of Xi, covid cases, and whatever else they decide needs to be censored, but the rest seems fine. Loot boxes, pay to win, and predatory dark patterns like daily rewards for logging in are not good for games or the gamers.

• blackluster117@possumpat.io
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Honestly, the national security bit sounds like a direct reaction to the War Thunder intel leaks (who’da thunk I’d ever type that out?).

• Eheran@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

To me, it sounds like a undefined argument they can use wherever they want is they feel like it. The same way Russia does it.

• yogurt@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

It’s just War Thunder and that other thing with the jogging app that was mapping military bases. They already had rules about “harming national unity” for political content.

• Goku@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Well China just hacked away at billions in profits from game Dev companies so I disagree with this statement in the context of China and the video game industry.

• Quokka@quokk.au
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

And this is literally them walking back on a lot of that because it hurt companies profits.

So once again I will reiterate, this is profits before people.