• directive0@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

It was cool because it showed a pre-federation starfleet. Humanity is the underdog scrappy little species trying to get its feet wet in a much larger galactic community. Because starfleet did not have technical parity with other races the stakes felt much higher for each encounter than in TNG or TOS era.

It was lame because it was ENTIRELY too horny. Also the Xindi subplot was painfully obvious as an allusion to the war on terror. It didn’t land for me.

Overall it was a great show though. It explored lots of interesting technical details of the world of Star Trek and attempted to explain their genesis. Reed alert, the prime directive, the paradox of being a diplomatic vessel with MACOs aboard and the jurisdiction of force.

I laughed at the show at its premiere, but by the end I was a die hard fan. They really won me over.

• Telodzrum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

It was lame because it was ENTIRELY too horny. Also the Xindi subplot was painfully obvious as an allusion to the war on terror. It didn’t land for me.

Obligatory Rick Berman is a piece of shit. The War on Terror arc is annoying, but in context I think ENT did a good job with it. For those who weren’t alive or culturally aware at the time of initial airing, basically every piece of media got darker and more fascist-curious in the few years immediately following 9/11. ENT is a great case study in this because the first season had wrapped before 9/11 and the Xindi plot to a very dark turn starting in S2.