I have a P400 in my storage server which currently also runs some media containers like Plex, sonarr-sma, radarr-sma, Jellyfin, exploring Immich, etc. I have the GPU surfaced via docker and added it to each of the containers that needed access to the GPU for hardware acceleration needs. Is it possible to be able to leverage the Nvidia gpu container remotely (over the lan) without having the containers access it (pseudo) directly? I want to move the media handling containers to a Turing Pi 2 and keep just the GPU access on the storage server.

• thisisawayoflife@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Transcoding on download seems like the easiest use case, I could use Tdarr and have one node with the GPU. But for apps like Immich that use the GPU for both transcoding (raw to jpg?) and for ML purposes (facial recognition) I’m guessing the container will have to run on the hardware where the GPU is, which means Plex and Jellyfin will also have to follow the gpu.

I’ve definitely thought about moving the GPU to a dedicated mini itx box. Wonder if I could find something rack friendly…