• Gorroth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I never understood why people are using the same phone for work and private life. Even if they call my private phone number I won’t answer (especially outside work time). And my work phone stays on my desk, so also not available after work.

• shitescalates@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Some people have different jobs that require it. Sometimes being able to check an email means less work, not more. Just because its there doesnt mean its toxic.

• timbuck2themoon@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I’d almost argue it does. A business shouldn’t be relying on one person so much.

And since I’m on vacation I personally don’t give a flying fuck what happens to the company while I’m out.

• RoboRay@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

They don’t even get my actual phone number… They get a Google Voice number that is only active during work hours.

• circuitfarmer@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. I use my previous personal handset as my work phone. It doesn’t even have a SIM in it – I tether my current personal phone to it when I need it for work and not at home (I work remotely).

When I’m not at work, the WiFi on my work phone goes off.

Little messages / quick checks for work purposes add up very quickly. They’re insidious.

• RandallFlagg@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

My work provides me with an iPhone which I keep on me while I’m on the clock, then when I get home I tuck it in my drawer until the next morning and pull out my S21. If I get a message on my work phone while I’m off the clock i intentionally wait until I clock in the next day to respond. If it’s an absolute emergency my work does know my personal number and can contact me that way but they have never done that. It’s actually a very convenient system.

• CaptainAniki@lemmy.flight-crew.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My work pay’s a 70 dollar stipend if you have on-call duties, which pays my bill completely. I still have AGGRESSIVE DND rules and a whitelist for the on-call number so I’m only really bothered when I want to be.

• chepox@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I don’t have to buy a personal phone so I just use my work phone as my only phone.

• bug@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

FYI this is very risky for your personal privacy and security. Hope you never send a single message that you’re not ok with the whole company reading!

• sbv@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Dammit. I really liked the absolute off Android used to provide.

Fortunately Google no longer supports my Pixel so I won’t see this until I upgrade.

• Nato Boram@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Get Pixel Experience or LineageOS. It’s the whole point of having a Pixel phone; you can still upgrade it after it was planned obsolescenced.

• sudotstar@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Unless LOS or a different custom ROM can re-enable the “old” work profile behavior, having access to the latest version of Android might be a detriment compared to an older version that still at least receives security updates (as I assume the Pixel mentioned here does).

I run LineageOS myself, and while I don’t think this change is enough of a dealbreaker to prevent me from ever updating past LOS20 if this change isn’t addressed somehow in either AOSP or LOS, it will make me less enthusiastic about immediately jumping to LOS21 the moment it’s made available to my device.

• azuth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It does not seem that you actually get nagged notifications while the work profile is paused.

As I understand it the apps get them but will display them when you resume your work profile.

• Audbol@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Sensational title but most people have been asking for this change. Also not sure why it’s upsetting. I’m guessing the Apple bots that got purged have found a new home?

• FragmentedChicken@lemdro.idOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I thought the article explained it well.

Android 14’s work profile changes also mean you’re never truly away from work even if you pause the work profile. You’ll now definitely know when your boss or a colleague is calling you, and you’ll never show up as offline to work colleagues. Google basically replaced the previous behavior with an aggressive do-not-disturb mode, but we all know that not all jobs will respect that you’re off the clock.

Mishaal also mentioned that this could negatively affect battery life, and also allow work apps to continue accessing your location.

I mean beep boop beep

• GenderNeutralBro@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The whole reason I use the work profile is so I can freeze apps and not have them running in the background. I don’t actually use it for “work”, it’s just a second profile for apps that don’t need to be running in the background (which, let’s be honest, is like 90% of apps).

Guess I’ll be SOL in Android 14. RIP my battery life.