I just set up my first Plex server and found that I have to convert all of my totally legally obtained MKVs to MP4s to run on Plex.

Right now I’m encoding them with HandBrake and it’s taking ~30 mins per file and using 100% of my CPUs capacity (running around 80 degrees C).

Is this how most of you guys do it? or am I missing something? I’m concerned about hurting the lifespan of my CPU. Would using my GPU to encode be a better option?

• JTurtle@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

video encoding is far from my area of expertise but i can advise

1. your CPU is fine as long as its getting proper cooling (if it hasnt overheated and auto-shutdown, then it’s ok). Also, 80°F? slightly above comfortable room temperature? you probably misread 80°C, a more reasonable temperature for a CPU at maximum overdrive. Which is fine, CPUs get hot. 90°C is where the problems start. EDIT: 80°C is very hot actually, make sure your fans are working as hard as they can.

2. Video encoding is just a really complex process that takes its sweet time no matter what, but just in case you can check if handbrake is converting to x264 or x265. x265 is very nicely compressed but takes longer, though its probably doing x264 by default.

3. check out ffmpeg (ffmpeg.org) for the technology behind HandBrake that you can use on its own, presumably with more options… if youre willing to read all those docs 😵‍💫. But when you have the basics down it makes mass-converting videos with shell scripts super powerful.

• LightlyButteredToast@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, I meant Celsius lol. I guess I’ll have to look into getting more case fans. So do you think encoding at those temps for multiple hours in the meantime is a bad idea or just something I should fix eventually?

• debased@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Then i would personally not do it for hours upon hours on end, you should look for a way to cool it down more effectively. 80°C is usually fine if it’s in short bursts. If you have an NVIDIA GPU, try using the NVENC option and see if the temperatures are better on that front