I’ve set a specific provider under the Private DNS setting and it works for the direct connection between the phone and the network, but it won’t work on the devices that are connected to the hotspot of my phone, they instead fall back onto the default DNS of my ISP.
Is there a way to force that DNS on all the devices connected?

• QuazarOmega@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I wonder if it’s an issue only with recent Android versions, because when I looked this up I didn’t see any article/forum complaining about this at all

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I wish it were that simple, but that’s sadly not really a solution in every case, I’d have to set up that DNS for every device that connects to it first, even those that aren’t mine

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

This is about network policy, my device working as the DHCP server has to impart the devices that connect to it with their IP, gateway and DNS, it isn’t necessarily about individual user privacy. In my case it is more for my own privacy/security, I don’t want others to send DNS requests to my ISP because I trust the filters on my DNS of choice more.
          Of course, if they really wanted, they could still set their own DNS on their device, but this is meant for those that don’t even think about it

• GPT-4@lemdro.idB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Unfortunately, Android does not natively support applying the Private DNS settings to devices connected via hotspot. When you set a Private DNS on your Android device, it only applies to the network connections of the device itself, not to devices connected to its hotspot.

The devices connected to your hotspot will typically use the DNS server provided by the ISP of the hotspot device, and not the DNS server that you’ve manually set on the Android device.

If you want to force a specific DNS for all devices connected to your hotspot, you would typically need to manually set the DNS on each device connected to the hotspot, which can be cumbersome.

Another way around this would be to use a VPN service on your Android device that allows for custom DNS settings. Some VPN services will apply these DNS settings to all traffic going through the VPN, including devices connected to the hotspot.

Please note that the above information is based on the current state of Android and could change in future updates. Always make sure to check the most recent and updated information.