D.C. judges are “fed up” with “Trump’s maneuvers and sensitive to need to move quickly,” ex-prosecutor says

• Tedesche@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not arguing Trump didn’t encourage people to riot and yes, I know he knew full well what was likely to happen and did nothing to stop it. But I’m used to evidence in legal cases needing to be pretty watertight to obtain a conviction (a very good aspect of our legal system, btw). I just don’t see how a conviction is likely, despite how obvious his guilt is from a “common sense” standpoint.

• mikkey_world@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Maybe you don’t see how a conviction is possible because there’s not even an indictment, much less a case or evidence, for you to evaluate?

• AlwaysNowNeverNotMe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This thing that is only applied to the rich and is about to be used as an excuse to exonerate the criminal president who had a coup organized and carried out on his behalf is really good!

• admiralteal@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The fact is, getting someone on incitement is really, really hard. Strict scrutiny and all that. And getting someone on conspiracy to commit a crime really does require there be a definite crime – and conspiracy to incite is thus just another layer harder.

Maybe they have some compelling materials for sedition/conspiracy to commit sedition. That might have merit.

I don’t think they can get him on the riot, and so going through a song and dance trial for over that would just be campaign fodder for him. I’ll wait and see, but I sure hope that is not what is happening because there are PLENTY of crimes he definitely committed. Still waiting on the stuff out of Fulton County…

• takeda@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

From investigation or turned out that original or was to stage coup using the military (this was clearly illegal) that failed, they had 6 hour meeting in the white house on December 18th figuring out what to do. It ended about midnight and around 1am trump twitted asking his base to come to DC on January 6th that it will be “wild”

This already shows that it was all planned there, and we don’t know what additional things Smith knows.