• dustyData@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

None of the idiots who brag about driving a semi have done any of that either. They’re grocery haulers at best. Just like 4x4 princesses. The loudest mouth breathers are the ones who think that driving on a unpaved dirt road is off-roading.

The rest of sensible humankind knows that, for any of what you mentioned, it’s astronomically cheaper to rent an actual truck for the couple of days every other year that you actually have to do any of it than owning, and slaving over a loan, for an inefficient, expensive and inadequate machine that can’t do any of those task properly.

• daltotron@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

None of the idiots who brag about driving a semi have done any of that either.

That’s definitely not true. People can still have a self-image as a kind of asshole truck driver, and also still use their truck. People make this argument, that somehow these kind of aesthetic qualities have some sort of bearing on who does or doesn’t use their truck, and to me, it just kind of comes across like the only people who are allowed to drive trucks are the people who are acting in socially acceptable ways.

The argument is less about the people who use their truck, and more about the relative frequencies of use for everyone generally. Most people would be better covered by a rental. And then we could also make the argument that our development patterns would encourage the use of trucks far too much anyways.

Edit: wait, did you mean to type semi, or hemi? I kind of assumed hemi, but if you mean semi that kind of changes everything and I don’t know how to respond to that.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I did meant hemi. English as a third language and all. And honestly I don’t care about whether they use their truck or not. It’s about the statistical probability of both being an intolerable fuckface who has an inefficient machine instead of a personality, and bragging that they need it and it is the best choice for certain heavy tasks. When the people who actually need to do those heavy task regularly would chose a pickup track last. Because it would be the worst choice possible only second to a Twingo or something. Because I’ve seen sedans deal better with towing trailers than some of the crap they sell to Americans as trucks.

• Speex@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

So you mean in your limited experience it’s cheaper. Which is fine. If you found solution for you good stuff. But your limited experience isn’t the reality for everyone.

Sounds like you don’t have a good understanding of the machines you are even talking about. Try expanding your world a little. Be less about making judgements about things you don’t understand.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Idiot says to the guy whose entire family were trades professionals for two generations who had owned, worked on and driven everything from buses and box trucks to 18 wheelers and forklifts, that he doesn’t understand machines and need to expand their world. Stay classy Internet.