link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I think basically every single top level comment has zero understanding of what a short time 20 years actually is.

I also expect almost everything that is acceptable today will also still be in 20 years, including nearly every example suggested in this discussion.

The world simply does not change that fast as a general rule.

In 2003, you could still smoke indoors in many states/countries who have since made it illegal.

In 2003, cannabis and homosexuality was illegal in many more countries than it is now.

In 2003, there were many more TV shows/movies with ingrained sexism than there are now.

In 2003, having hundreds of “online friends” meant you were a social recluse who only spent time on IRC/MSN messenger.

In 2003, if you met a significant other online, you came up with an elaborate story to hide it.

In 2003, most people had a paper map of the streets folded up in their glove compartment.

In 2003, people still remembered phone numbers, phones all had removable batteries, every phone company had a different OS/charging cable, and no phone had a screen >6 inches big.

(cheating a little here, but I would be remiss not to mention this) In 2000, it wasn’t illegal to bring a full water bottle into a plane.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks, but I remember things from 20 years ago and this is an exaggeration in many ways… Or perhaps I should say multiple exaggerations.

Things were far more noticeably different 40+ years ago (which I also remember).

Oh, and for what it’s worth, it’s still not illegal to bring a full water bottle on a plane. You just can’t bring one through security so you have to buy it in the airport after the checkpoints.

• eyy@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Thanks, but I remember things from 20 years ago and this is an exaggeration in many ways… Or perhaps I should say multiple exaggerations.

I remember things from 20 years ago too. Absolutely none of what I said was an exaggeration. Many of these are facts which you can google.

Things were far more noticeably different 40+ years ago (which I also remember).

Sure. Things were way more different 60+ years ago, way way more different 80+ years ago, and way way way more different 100+ years ago. That’s not the point though.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, it’s still not illegal to bring a full water bottle on a plane. You just can’t bring one through security so you have to buy it in the airport after the checkpoints.

Ok, you got me there. I should have said:

(cheating a little here, but I would be remiss not to mention this) In 2000, it wasn’t illegal to bring a full water bottle past airport security.

• eyy@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

You said “The world simply does not change that fast as a general rule”. I presented a few facts, you called them “multiple exaggerations”. There’s nothing to agree or disagree here - these are facts. You can google laws on homosexuality, cannabis, smoking, and airport security. You can search for when Google Maps was invented. Hell, if you were alive 20 years ago you should just know this.

Maybe you got me confused with another poster - i’m not saying that the past 20 years was the most drastic change in human history. All I’m saying is that there have been significant changes in the last 20 years.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter what you think, so this is my last reply here.