• dtc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I agree, but we should also remember that time is relative. In under 100 years we went from “holy shit our balsa wood plane flew 250 feet” to “one small step for man”.

• SlothMama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Completely disagree, but if you haven’t been around for at least a couple of sets of twenty years I can see why you would think this.

Someone else gave a great set of things that were different, but really, twenty years ago was almost completely different in nearly every dimension of life I can remember.

In 2003 not only was gay marriage not legal, gay sex and relationships were illegal where I live, and was punishable by prison time.

In 2003 most of the country wasn’t online, pagers were more common than cell phones, and 3DFX VooDoo graphics cards were still a thing.

In 2003 I used to smoke inside my community college’s cafeteria, where people ate because it was the designated smoking area.

In 2003 minimum wage was $5.15 nationwide, and gas was just a little over a dollar.

In 2003 people didn’t use laptops in school and electronics were confiscated on site, sometimes teachers would ‘lose’ them and you never got it back, and somehow that was an expected outcome - I lost a laser pointer that way.

In 2003 casual homophobia was mainstream, all your friends, and probably you would be making gay jokes, and transphobia was not a concept. I thought transgender people were the same thing as intersex, I didn’t know gender transition was possible.

American society was post 9/11 and highly patriotic, even liberal people were unusually patriotic, and politics were probably the most ‘neutral’ that I’ve ever seen, it was nothing like they are now, but in general things trended towards cultural conservatism.

I remember being an outcast because I didn’t believe in God, and people would casually tell me I was going to go to Hell.

Nah, 20 years is an entirely different cultural paradigm.

• scottywh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes… The 100 year scale has been far more drastic and interesting a measure of change, particularly in the past century and a half or so.