The unconfirmed allegation is raising concerns that the coffee chain is the latest corporation to cave to far-right attacks on LGBTQ people.

• 10A@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I dunno, might be impossible. But the fear of getting canceled for being homophobic is very real and widespread.

• QHC@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

But the fear of getting canceled for being homophobic is very real and widespread.

[citation needed]

Do you think the opposite is not true? Is it not possible for people to feel pressured to oppose a popularly held view because their particular social circle might cancel them?

• 10A@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Any citation I could give you — and there are hundreds of thousands out there — would be from a conservative or right-wing source that you’d probably dismiss out-of-hand for being biased.

As for the opposite being true: well I suppose it depends on one’s social circle, but sure in some cases. I mean that basically explains why so many Germans went along with the Nazis, and why today’s Chinese are so apprehensive to speak out against the CCP. I hope we can agree that living in fear of getting canceled is a bad thing.