Heya, does anyone have experiences with using a pi4 as a Jellyfin media server? I’d like to set it up like that. Do you think a regular external HDD would work as storage space? Will it be possible to have like 3 to 4 devices streaming at the same time?Recommendations for tutorials are highly appreciated!

• Vida_E_Bela@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I used to have a RPi 4 as a Jellyfin Media Server. I never tried 3-4 simultaneous streaming, but I remember that, if no server transcoding was involved, it could deal with 2 simulteaneous streamings without problems. I used an external HDD also.

On tutorials, Jellyfin’s webpage has a nice tutorial on the Debian installer page (https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/linux). Also, the container version could be a good option.

Watch out for folder permissions so Jellyfin can access your external HDD.

• fernandu00@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m currently running a jellyfin server (among other things) on a pi2! I’m using a 1Tb HDD powered by a dockstation . Like said, transcoding is problematic so I disabled it and with my setup 2 simultaneous streamings sometimes crash the system…but my major problem it’s been the power …at least once a week my HDD gives me input output error…I think it’s about the power supply…I had some issues with permissions too …I don’t know why half of the volumes had user 123 ownership and half a dnsmasq ownership …but was easy to fix …I’ve been planning to upgrade to an old core 2 duo I have to make transcoding possible and to upgrade my storage …so it’s possible but depending on what you wanna do may be time consuming

• Vida_E_Bela@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I believe you’ll be happy with an upgrade to Core 2 Duo. I upgraded to a Intel NUC with Pentium and the performance increase, transcoding capabilities and x86 support were awersome. Also, having a SSD drive instead of RPI’s SD card gives a good performance increase.

• fedup@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks a lot for the info! Just allow me a question: What was your reason to drop the setup?

• Vida_E_Bela@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You’re welcome :)

I needed better transcoding support and switched to an Intel NUC - almost the same power draw, x86 software support and way better performance. But I still use Raspberry Pi for smaller projects and home automation.