I want to get started with home automation, probably based on a raspberry pi (or as of now with my banana pi which is my home server) and either openHAB or home assistant. My goal is, first, to put some temperature/humidity sensors in varous rooms and leak detector in my basement where I had some issues with the main drain. I wonder if you have some recomendations for a usb dongle for zigbee and/or z-wave compatible with linux, not too expensive but good enough if I want to extend the network later. I read about SONOFF-ZB USB Dongle Plus Zigbee 3.0 available on Chinese websites. What do you think?

• fenndev@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Just recently got the SONOFF-ZB Plus E dongle and it’s been working well for me. I was able to flash it to use both ZigBee and Thread.

• Miroslav Kravec@hometech.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I am running Aotect Zi-Stick (ZGA008), but I would probably go with Sonoff ZBDongle-E, which is based the same EFR32MG21 chip, but has external antenna.

I recommend to use #Zigbee2MQTT because it’s decoupled from home automation software:

- ability to switch software in future without repairing all devices in different software,
    - no duplication of efforts to add device support in multiple softwares,
    - ability to run (or evaluate) different software in parallel against the same Zigbee network.