• makingrain@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

There probably are people making a decent income from selling on these platforms. I assumed such data was alredy shared with HMRC.

Now what about corporate tax evasion? Meta, Starbucks and Amazon need to pay their share.

• frazorth@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

They pay everything that they are required to.

HMRC enforces the rules, they don’t make them. The issue is not that Amazon doesn’t pay taxes, it is that successive Tory governments allow them to offshore profits because the rules that Starbucks follow are the ones set up to let MPs offshore their money.

Remember, the Queen and our PM were in the Panama Papers. It was ignored because it is by design.

• mannycalavera@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

it is that successive Tory governments allow them to offshore profits

It is successive Tory and Labour governments and European and US and international governments that have allowed this to happen. It’s simply theatre to pretend otherwise.

• frazorth@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

and European and US and international governments that have allowed this to happen

Well, those governments have helped those countries get fucked but really we have only had about 13 years of Labour in the past 45 years. The burden of responsibility is definitely on the shoulders of Conservatives however much everyone could do better. We could prevent companies from off-shoring profits and on-shoring losses but we don’t.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Yeah we don’t, I know, that’s the depressing point I was making. But equally Labour didn’t do anything about it when in office, and Labour won’t do anything about it next year. And the same with the other governments they pretend to be tough on this but ultimately if it benefits their citizens they gleefully allow it.

I’m not presenting a solution… shit I wouldn’t know what one would look like given where we are. But I just wanted to share the responsibility of shit amongst every government.

• Syldon@feddit.uk
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Labour didn’t do anything about back then because it was not an issue.

Data farming is a fairly recent abuse. The Tories have just pushed two laws: one was the right to view any bank accounts that are receiving benefits and the other is the right to send spam mail out while campaigning. The first is an abuse towards those without money, as well as a data farming action. The second is what the Cambridge Analytica scandal was about.

This is very much a Tory driven initiative. Labour probably won’t address the issue because it is not visibly destructive. Everything will be about appearance when they come to power. Anything that the Tory media can get hold of to stain the Labour government will be pushed front and centre. Much like the beergate campaign was.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

Wait… Are we still talking about corporate tax evasion? It sounds like you’ve started a new thread as a reply. Tax evasion was very much a thing back in 1997 - 2010.

• Syldon@feddit.uk
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

No, I am talking about the government collecting data with the intention of using it to campaign for office.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

People who make money from online “side hustle” activities like these will find the tax net tightening this year.

From 1 January firms including Vinted, Airbnb, and eBay are obliged to collect and share details of such transactions with the tax authorities.

While HMRC was already able to request information from UK-based online operators, from the start of this year there are new rules that the UK has signed up to via the international body, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), as part of a global effort to clamp down on tax dodgers.

It will apply to sales of goods such as things that have been handcrafted and second hand clothes, but also services including taxi hire, food delivery, freelance work and short-term accommodation lets or even renting out your driveway for parking.

Adam Jay, chief executive of the second hand marketplace platform Vinted, told the BBC he did not believe the new rules would affect many of the site’s sellers.

If you are reading this page and can’t see the form you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question or comment or you can email us at HaveYourSay@bbc.co.uk.

The original article contains 676 words, the summary contains 199 words. Saved 71%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!