By S’thembile Cele July 19, 2023 at 6:57 AM EDT

Russian President Vladimir Putin won’t attend next month’s summit of BRICS leaders and will instead be represented by his foreign minister, South Africa’s presidency said. The rand pared its earlier losses. Putin’s decision means the South African authorities will avoid having to execute an International Criminal Court warrant for the Russian leader’s arrest.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will attend the summit in Putin’s stead, the presidency said in a statement on Wednesday. The decision for Putin not to attend was by mutual consent, it said.

• Xenon@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Imagine having a “president” with less freedom to travel than Kim Jong Un.

• Crow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

But Putin gets to be the richest man in the word by hiding his wealth where he can never access it, being under the constant threat of assassination, hates by the free world, and not being able to visit countries other than Russian allies. What’s not to want?!

• zephyrvs@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

SA ignored an ICC warrant in 2015 already and it was basically shrugged off.

• zephyrvs@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Smart move. Forcing South Africa’s hand for a PR win doesn’t make any sense. Lavrov has been touring Africa over the past weeks anyways.

• anteaters@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

lol BRICS are going strong I see. Is there a more useless group that hates each other more than them?

• anteaters@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Man you people get angry when confronted with reality. Must be exhausting being you.

• ghost_laptop@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

You are the one who negates reality, literally your white colonizer empire is collapsing and in decay and you somehow think you are a vibrant democracy. You will have a hard time when the rules world order get turned and the rest of the world stops caring about the West

• anteaters@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

It’s fun to see you projecting all your worst fears onto me without knowing anything. Angry, scared little man that you are.

• ghost_laptop@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

What fears, I don’t live in the imperial core, and I am already oppressed by your empire, the only thing I could wish is that your shit holes country implode. I am not scared, I am thrilled to see a future where the West cannot do as they please without consequences

• anteaters@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 months ago

A little boy seeing evil empires around him that are the reason for his failure is indeed very brave, true.

• zephyrvs@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, the post you’re replying to is definitely filled with anger.