US antitrust case against Apple’s App Store exclusivity is ‘firing on all cylinders’::The US antitrust case against Apple’s App Store exclusivity is “firing on all cylinders” according to the head of the…

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This would be great. I really hate the direction smartphones have went

We have power in our pockets that would make mincemeat of older PCs, and yet we barely use it.

Apple has the best use case for it, pretty much all of their software is for ARM anyway, and they have full control over their hardware and software. But of course we can’t cannibalise Mac sales, can we?

Google could do it too. What they should have been doing was drifting more towards the mainline Linux kernel with each Android update, and bringing ChromeOS closer to it too. But nah, Google seems content just doing what they’re doing now. They’ll only do it if Apple does it first.

Microsoft bailed on phones long ago, but given how much they keep bloating windows I’m unsure they’d give mobile/PC convergence the proper showcase it deserves either.

Multiple Linux distributions are currently putting groundwork in place for mobile/PC convergence, but it’s slow-moving and there aren’t really any “real” Linux phones out there to run them on anyway.

So many things like this in computing boil my piss. We could have it so much better.

• M500@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Smart phones would make mincemeat of older PCs? More like modern PCs. It’s pretty crazy when you consider how much more powerful and iPhone is than a laptop for around the same price.

Sure, if you shop smart you can do better, but still it’s more power than almost anyone needs.

I guess another reason Apple hasn’t done it as they would probably need to increase the amount of ram in the phones to make them run really well.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Yeah when I say old I don’t mean 90s PCs, I mean pretty much any laptop that’s not being sold. And even plenty of the weaker ones currently being sold.

• JDubbleu@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

A low end laptop, maybe, but anything you need power to do would be rough given the thermal limitations and comparatively weaker processor in the iPhone. I do agree that most could get away with a docked phone instead of a desktop if the implementation was good enough.