Hey there,

I’ve been doing a lot of typing lately on my shitty old Compaq keyboard (it has a good build quality, but keys require relatively much force to be pressed) and I experience some discomfort in my fingers.

Would anybody suggest any specific keyboard or keyboard type that would help me ease the strain? I know absolutely nothing about keyboards lol!

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That’s fair. I never did much research on Colemak but no keyboard layout is right for everyone. You’re trying a more human focused layout though. I’m happy whenever anyone does that. Dvorak nerds are like linux nerds that way, we just want people to ask questions and decide on the tools that are actually right for them instead of what’s just the default.

Good luck with the pain!

Edit: ok it looks like a good compromise between design goals. I’m still grateful I have my tap-tap switch hand pattern and vowel row, but I absolutely understand why people would be drawn to it

• ColonelRevolution@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

What did you mean by tap-tap switch hand pattern? 🙂

we just want people to ask questions and decide on the tools that are actually right for them instead of what’s just the default

That’s the way I also suggest to everyone! When it comes to tinkering with software, GNU/Linux is very good and encourages the user to learn much more efficiently than it’s closed software counterparts. Since discovering it I can no longer find any joy in using Windows, really.

Do you by any chance use Vi(m) or Emacs? I can already tell that Colemak (and Dvorak surely too) is superior to QWERTY, but my setup relies heavily on keyboard and I wonder what would be the best approach to setting up keybindings. That’s the only reason why I didn’t fully switch, yet.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No i actually just started dual booting linux last week (Garuda). Personally I just adapted my key patterns so yeah copy and paste aren’t next to each other but I know them.

Tap tap switch hand refers to the general dvorak rhythm. In general it tried to get closer to two taps with a hand at a time. This results in a lot of common letter pairings being on the same hand

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s beginner friendly and I know the experts like arch so it seemed a good way to get into that. But also I tried ubuntu years and years ago when linux gaming meant downloading steam felt sketchy so a gaming focused distributor appealed to me