• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The only problem with that is you have to actually be an attractive candidate to be a spoiler. If he runs, he’s not really taking any votes from Biden because nobody who votes Biden is going to consider a party-line traitor like Manchin.

I’m not so sure. Centrists have been defending Manchin ever since he killed BBB for them. I also recall 2008, when centrist Clinton supporters formed a PAC to oppose Obama and support McCain after he won the nomination.

Meanwhile, Biden has been trying to get student loan forgiveness, something centrists oppose and progressives support, and worst of all made it clear with his second forgiveness plan that he wasn’t going to just announce that he tried and never try again.

I’m sure there are some centrists who would crawl over broken glass for a chance to drink the bilge water from Manchin’s houseboat. 2008 showed that centrists will not only jump ship, they’ll organize. Progressives have never formed a PAC to support a Republican like centrists did.