It took me 4 hours, much of that was slowness at the beginning and meticulous removal of the old adhesive for the screen. The actual screen removal was so much easier than I was afraid of. I followed along with both their text & video guides and it was all pretty straightforward if a little nerve wracking and time consuming. Very happy with it! If anyone has any questions about the process lmk

• Firefeet@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That looks so cool! I’m digging the keyboard-matched track pads, too.

I was proud of myself for getting just the JSAUX backplate on last week, no way I’d be brave enough to do the front/full enclosure, but it looks really slick and I’m glad to hear the process (especially the screen) was not as bad as anticipated. Thanks for sharing!

• ahintoflime@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thank you!! It was definitely kind of draining it’s a long process. but look how pretty it is :D I had just the backplate on before and that itself is a pretty cool little mod!

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I prefer frosted personally (100% clear is too ‘prison tech’ for me lol) but hopefully these companies will start putting more options out there. Jsaux doesn’t even have all the colors for the frontplate yet that they do for the back (I think the green would look great for example). Honestly I would love a piss yellow like the death stranding ps5 controller

• tekchic@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That looks SO good, I’m just not hardware technical enough to pull it off, especially with the complicated screen stuff. Looks GORGEOUS though. I wish I could pay someone to do an Atomic Purple for me. :)

• Nix@merv.news
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

That looks so nice, i hope they make a purple one too

Edit: looks like they already do!

• Grass@geddit.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been tempted to get one. Is the screen work easier than an iphone screen of any generation? Hating those has been my biggest deterrent.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’ve never worked on a phone tbh so no point of comparison. It was much easier than I expected, I just followed the directions. Heated the screen for about a minute around the edges with my hair dryer, put the included suction cup on and pulled straight out just enough to get these thin plastic cards wedged in. Had to run those around the edges to cut through / peel up the adhesive then I juat pulled and the screen came off. There was a little residual adhesive so scraping that off took some time since I wanted it to be nice and flush.

• Grimpen@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Looks very cool, but I also like the keyboard!

I’ve got a TKL mechanical keyboard that supports Bluetooth, but it is a bit bulkier. I have a cheaper Bluetooth keyboard, but it’s rubbish.

Most of the time, I’m just plugging in a spare keyboard into a hub, but I’d like something Bluetooth, portable, and decent enough.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s actually a cheap little mechanical keyboard I picked up specifically for my deck, I think it was $25 on Amazon. I’m pretty happy with it. And once I had it and I had the plan of doing the case swap I knew I needed some orange on the deck itself to match 🤩. This kb is actually wired tho the photo is a staged lie hahah

• belikewater@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

What tools you used to remove the screen, I’m going to do the same procedure in the next days and I want to make sure I have everything I need. I have the iOpener from iFixit but I don’t know if I should use a heat gun instead.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I used a regular hairdryer (with one of the heads that focuses the airflow) on the medium setting. The rest of the tools I just used what came with the new case-- it comes with a big locking suction cup and some thin plastic cards (think credit cards but thinner) for sliding under the edge of the screen to separate the adhesive.