Hello all,

I’ve recently gotten a MacBook pro at work. In the past I’ve mainly used Linux, so the switch isn’t super drastic. I’m mainly getting used to the shortcuts. My work mainly involves DevOps related work.

Things I’ve installed so far ( besides standard things like an IDE ):

• neovim
  • brew
  • rectangle
  • jq / uw
  • docker desktop
  • iterm2

I have some coworkers excited about Alfred, which I have installed, but haven’t really used yet. Looks like an enhanced spotlight?

Any apps/tools you can recommend which makes your life easier on Macs? Hidden productivity gems?

• billbasher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Amphetamine is the Mac version of Caffeine. It basically keeps your display on for a set amount of time without having to modify system settings.

If you have the ARM silicon chip your VM options are limited but possible. VMWare Fusion is free for personal use but since this is work you can likely get reimbursed easily. You can get Ubuntu running by downloading the ARM Ubuntu server iso and installing apt package ubuntu-gnome-desktop and you’ll want open-vm-tools-desktop, open-vm-tools, and likely build-essential. You can also cross compile a distro you like but only that, Kali, and Manjaro have ARM ISOs to my knowledge