Hi! My less-than-10-year-old has their own iPad (registered under my apple id) and wants to be able to “text” with the rest of the family. Most of us are not Apple people though: Android phones, using some combo of SMS, Discord, and Signal. The little one doesn’t have a phone, so I think that prevents us from signing them up for Signal. I could probably install Discord on the iPad, though it doesn’t feel ideal. They use iMessage (or whatever it’s called) to text a couple other friends/grandma/etc who also have Apple stuff, but what should we use for our mostly-non-Apple family that wouldn’t require a phone number?

An internet search pointed me to WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber… stuff I’ve never used but it seems popular. Facebook Messenger also, but screw that. Google Chat/Hangouts (or whatever it’s called now) is another option, which would require creating a google account.

If nothing else appeals to me we’ll probably go the Discord route, and I’ll just have to be clear, don’t join random servers :) But, anybody out there use WhatsApp with your kid, and does it not require a phone number? I’m open to other ideas! Thank you…

• KammicRelief@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

ah I didn’t realize you could use a non-M$ acct. I have it on my phone already with my work account, but if I can have a second instance/profile open with my personal email… that could work. thanks!

• Perrin42@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yup, my wife and kids use it with their Gmail accounts, I use it with my MS account on my Android phone. You can also use the same accounts on desktop clients and Apple devices, so it’s not tied to a phone number. However, I’m not sure I would recommend setting it up for twin boys with ADHD (again). 😆