Let’s start off this series of questions with a big one:

What got you into Mangas in the first place?

For me, it was Neon Genesis Evangelion. I loved the Anime and it, naturally, left my still developing young teenage brain very confused. So when I learned that there was a “Comic” about it, I was convinced that it was going to provide some additional info the show left out (like books usually do). I didn’t like the black/white aesthetic at all at first and stopped reading halfway through the first volume initially, but picked it up again a few weeks later and practically devoured the whole series over the course of the next few days.

It didn’t really give me any of the answers I initially hoped for, but it definitely hooked me onto this whole “black and white comics for adults”-vibe I got from it back then. And I just never stopped picking up new ones for close to 20 years now.

Now, let’s hear your own background stories!

• kentucky444@eslemmy.es
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Faster content consumption.

We all suffered as kids when TV shows dragged for too long when the authors ran out of ideas — Dragon Ball Z I’m looking at you.

Manga cuts through all of that. You can simply skim through the filler much easier.

I’ll concede that, some times, manga slows down too. But it is orders of magnitude more tolerable than, say, anime.

The mangas that got me hooked where a combination of old and new: Junji Ito stuff, Berserk, Claymore, Chainsaw Man, The Way of the Househusband and Dorohedoro. I know that I just mixed some of the absolute best works of art that you could find in the format with totally mid and forgettable stuff, but that is the good thing about aging — you do not give a fuck.