• Saledovil@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

The problem with that argument is that prices can’t be raised indefinitively without negatively impacting revenue. If prices go up, demand goes down. So, yeah, basically all arguments that increased costs get handed off to consumers are flawed, if a business can increase its profit by raising prices, they are going to do so sooner or later, anyway. They might wait for an excuse to do so, but even then they won’t wait forever.

• polysexualstick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

When people shoplift from big chains it doesn’t even register for the company, much less impact their pricing in any way

• lud@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Individually no.

But the more people that do it the more common it will become and they will absolutely care.

• Reddit_Is_Trash@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

It’s already inflated to account for shoplifting.

I’m already paying extra because shitheads don’t want to buy the products they use. It’s like paying extra tax that goes to benefit the undeserving directly

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Agreed. Your reasons and their appropriateness isn’t my problem. Nor the cops’ problem. Nor either lawyers’ problem. Whether your reasoning justifies the crime, that’s on the judge to set aside a verdict if a jury returns a guilty verdict.

I’ll go one further and say that people who steal, claim it’s for a noble purpose but run from the cops, didn’t commit.