I am going to build a router with OPNSense (in Proxmox, on an HP thin client). I am stuck with setting up the networking (I have the Inel 4-port card). I don’t really know how to get started. Right now my device has one LAN cable going into it, and my consumer router is doing everything. I can set up a bridge for the other ports, but what IP address will I use for the LAN? I can’t use 192.268.0.1 because that will collide with my consumer router. Do I just take my consumer router offline while I am setting this up?I’d rather not because for sure I will get stuck and will want to look something up online. I guess I could use my phone but not the best when I am trying to see someone setting up something like this.

Silly question, I know, but I just can’t think of a clean way to get this going with minimal disruption. In a nutshell, what’s a good strategy for setting up and testing the OPNSense while it’s not actually doing any routing and then seemlessly drop it in and start working on it?

• Red@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Yep. Keep the WAN port dhcp Client enabled if you can, just one less thing to worry about.

Also take note that when you change the static IP of the new router it would conflict with the old one (and dhcp might fail). So you might need to set your local clients IP. Take note of the configuration it has and the steps to set it manually.

The rest all sounds right.