link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

KHERSON, Ukraine — On the morning of his first crossing of the Dnieper River — where his unit was being sent in a desperate effort to claw back occupied land from Russia — the 21-year-old Ukrainian marine woke up “ready to die.”

Ukraine does not publicly disclose its number of military casualties and has declined to specify how many marines have been killed in the mission, which seized back just a few square kilometers of land, including a toehold in the fishing village of Krynky.

The front lines here had barely budged since the liberation of Kherson city, the regional capital, from Russian occupation in November 2022, complicated by mucky terrain and bombed-out bridges.

As Dmytro left for the crossing, he carried three tins of sardines and six loaves of bread, plus 100 pounds of ammunition and other gear, for an operation that was expected to last a few days — if he survived that long.

On the Ukraine Control map — which pins the location of video-recorded missile strikes — the river is clotted with dots corroborating accounts of heavy fire.

They survived the night, fighting toward Krynky, where Ukrainian forces have established a toehold in the ruins of homes, with Russian soldiers nearby ready to seize back the land.

The original article contains 1,407 words, the summary contains 211 words. Saved 85%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• nekandro@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Surely this time Ukraine will gain a foothold in Krynki?

This, after expending thousands of Ukraine’s most well-trained troops. Huzzah?

• Vode An@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Soggy soldiers and dying in droves for little gain, name a more iconic combo.

Are they going to appropriate American culture and call the march back to base a war crime because they had to do cardio?