• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Good. Defy unjust laws brazenly whenever possible, otherwise change will never happen

• Raltoid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This isn’t Nintendo “defying” anything, they’re just going with the times.

Clarification: There is no law specifically banning gay marriage in Japan(it’s just not included yet), courts support giving gay people constitutional protection, they legally reckognize gay marriage if married in another country, around 70% of people openly support it, etc.

There are also dozens of large cities and wards that have a “civil union” style system that helps with the strict apartment renting system in Japan and similar things like having a right to see your loved one in a hospital, some add provisons so gay couple can adopt as well.

• Raltoid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

In popular anime and Japanese games there are dozens of characters that are gender neutral, open cross dressers, transgender, etc. Some anime have characters that are specifically made to be gender neutral, as a part of the plot.

Individuals don’t care that much, it’s just that the culture in and of itself is a bit conservative. So long term/permanent changes take a long time to implement, specially when it comes to things like the constition and federal laws. To further illustrate: Some companies still use floppy disks…

As an example:

Felix Argyle - A male charcter in a fairly popular anime(In Japan and internationally), which dresses and acts feminine but is fully open about being male if you ask. It’s just that most people in the show don’t ask.

• ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean, legality aside, lots of companies have suffered financially for doing anything perceived as supporting anything LGBTQ lately. Target, Starbucks, Bud, etc. They’re definitely defying the urge to stay silent and neutral when it seems best to for business.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

They haven’t, every single one of them are up Y/Y on revenue as of their last earnings. This dude is just trying to drum up outrage.

• beefcat@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Jesus christ you fucking killed him man.

Also I had no idea the conservative backlash against these companies was so anemic. It really warms my heart to know that these bigoted fuckwits really are a loud minority.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It almost always is! There’s a lot of shit wrong in this world, but where American hillbillies choose to spend their money is absolutely not worth the media/social media attention we give it for some reason.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Look at their stock prices though… everything has been bullish. Theirs have been dropping.

• UlrikHD@programming.dev
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t think a Japanese company targeting the youth is concerned about what American conservatives think.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Cool. I think it’s generally “easier, albeit lazy and wrong, for companies to choose be silent, and I give Nintendo some credit for not going with the “easy” option.

• Hypersapien@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

You have to look at their customer makeup. Budweiser losing money doesn’t surprise me at all but I’m kind of surprised at Starbucks. Although they probably have a lot of Karens going there, too

• oatscoop@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Starbucks could just be a victim of the economic downturn: anyone looking to spend less is going to start with expensive coffee drinks.

• magic_lobster_party@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I not sure if there’s that cause and effect. It’s probably more something in the lines of:

“How can we turn around this failing business? I know! Let’s openly support LGBTQ! That will make people return to buy our product. Oh no! People didn’t care.”

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Those businesses weren’t failing. The decline in sales is perfectly timed with right wing outrage. 30-40% of this country is now triggered by rainbows.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

Sorry. Sales wasn’t the right term.

Their stocks have dropped by an average of 20% when others have done the reverse.

Corporations like to see their stocks go up not down. FYI.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 year ago

Their stock prices dropped because they missed previous earnings. SBUX and BUD are up big since they beat. Share prices are closely correlated with earnings FYI.

Stop pulling nonsense out of your ass to elicit an emotional reaction.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago

Stop being emotional

Ok, dude. You seem really unable to have a discussion at all. You’re the only one who seems upset on the attack and doing the keyboard warrior dance.

I don’t mind being corrected, or discussing the details. I’ve shown no emotion in this.

• BirdieNumNum@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Surprised Mario Kart hasn’t been labeled “woke” by conservatives yet over Rainbow Road!

• pizza_rolls@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In this case, sure. But they are also doing a lot of big shitty corporation things, like going after emulators despite not offering any alternatives to be able to play older games.

• pale_tony@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

PR or not, they’re doing something fairly radical as a Japanese company. It means a lot coming from them and in defiance of government/public discrimination.

I agree with your sentiment about their actions towards emulators but I think the issues can reasonably be separated out.

• mightyfoolish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s incredible to see Nintendo change their stance on anything. One of the most conservative companies I can think of when it comes to why topic.

• richyawyingtmv@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Nah, they’ve changed since the old days. Look at how much is released completely uncensored on the Switch compared to PlayStation - Sony’s rules are significantly stricter.

When it comes to emulation and game preservation though…ha, no - Nintendo have stayed just as bad and clueless as ever