This article is inspired by a Youtuber Caitlyn V who is a sex coach. I’ve watched some of her videos and I find them to be very informative, especially about sex. I’ll link it here below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agscWsru7Gk&ab_channel=CaitlinV

She actually goes onto explain how not having sex for a long time can contribute to problems on mental health, emotional health, etc.

The second half of her video has the solutions to these problems and the last point is one I want to expand on. The first 2 solutions was to 1. Create feel good chemicals by exercising, eating healthy, leaning on trusted friends, etc and the 2. one is fuck yourself (not regular masturbation where you race to ejaculation, but slowly taking your time with it.). The third suggestion is where I take issue with and it’s getting a sex worker.

Note I have nothing against sex work. I believe sex work is work and there’s nothing wrong with getting it. My issue with this point is the way I believe society is set up to profit off of lonely and sexually frustrated men.

Paying for sex work is very expensive, like you have to be making the kind of money where the cost to even get these services are casual at best. Even if there are cheap option, I don’t believe many men out there feel they should have to pay for experiences just to feel wanted.

Think about it this way. When you go outside to try to make friends, or to try and talk to a woman you find attractive, you notice how cold and distant people treat you in social places. In the first initial meeting, you’re treated as a potential predator that has to prove himself to be a good person first, and even after you passed the test, you need to be mindful of not making her feel uncomfortable, and make having sex with them feel completely natural. It’s also on you to make the sure interactions you lead the interactions in a way to keep her around, and basically really sell yourself. Couple that with the expectation society has for the man to be the pursuer, all of these things make a very daunting experience for men.

Men don’t have a lot of options when it comes to dating and when they to have the opportunity, are expected to make sure it goes well. This setup creates a very convincing need for sex work, with a high demand of it coming from men because their basic needs aren’t being met consistently.

I believe there needs to be a better solution rather than spending money on experiencing intimacy via sexual services. The most obvious way would be to stop demonizing men at a very ridiculous level, especially at the first meet, but most people on the left space don’t like that idea cuz ‘safety’ and ‘patriarchy’ so obviously getting to a point where we don’t do that is gonna take a long time, we need better short term solutions that doesn’t cost money for that. Sexual services are fine when you get them here and there, not when it becomes a potentially long-term thing (I’ve known men who consistently get sex through prostitutes)

One of the solutions offered by Aba and Preach would be a solution I would offer in helping with this situation as well, mostly short-term.

https://youtu.be/P22ZpncT8B4?t=738

Now they’re saying not to approach women and I don’t think most women put men that approach them on blast that regular, but that’s perfectly valid given the society we’re living in. Me personally, I’ve done a lot of approaching and have been very experienced in it and I haven’t been blasted on media, but this is because I gauge most situations I have going in. The process of learning it today is fucking hard so one slip up in an unlucky situation can turn your life upside down if you get blasted on social media.

Other solutions?

Read books and websites on people skills so you can work on talking to people. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve all had natural experiences with talking to people, so I’m not implying you’re all very socially inept that can’t hold a conversation. I think a lot of the guys here actually have no problem with conversation, especially when talking to women. But maybe you don’t have the kind of friends you do like having around, or maybe you don’t have any afab friends or maybe you do, but again not the ideal person you want in your life. I’m mostly recommending this because if you want to have control over your own life and build better relationships, people skills are crucial. So the next time you’re in a situation where you want to make friends with certain people or talk to a woman you find attractive, you know have the experience backed up to do it

Read books on dating material so you can make up for a lack of experience. However, this bit is very tricky as there’s a lot of toxic dating advice out there. I got proper sources of healthy dating advice if you want my suggestion message me.

Next step is practicality. For social skills, go to a hobby-based group or club and put what you learned to the test. Preferably a new one, as if you’re in an old group, they probably have a set image of you and depending on that, maybe harder to break out of. Finding a new social setting will give you a fresh start if this is the case. For practicing dating skills, I would highly recommend speed dating. Now don’t expect to actually get dates from speed dating. In fact, as a man if you wanna find a date via speed dating, you’re gonna be spending money for a long time. Instead, use them to practice your skills. Each date you have last up to 5 minutes so you have a very short timeframe to work with, but this is perfect as you get to work on initiating conversations and internalizing body language signals being sent out, and you’ll be ‘dating’ multiple people in one setting so you have a lot of volume to work with for one night. This is to help improve your skills quickly, arming you with enough knowledge and experience to navigate life with a prepared lens.

Now the article is written from the perspective of someone that hasn’t gone to any sexual services and don’t really plan to. Has anyone gone to get sexual services? What was it like going there? Do you agree it to be a solution for guys problem with a lack of sex?

• Mshuser@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Expecting men to initiate isn’t ideal, but it’s not the primary expectation that’s hurting men.

I’d say it is. I’d say it’s the main reason a lot of women put up with men approaching & making them uncomfortable. If 90% of women aren’t gonna make the first move on you (cuz they themselves expect men to make the first move including feminists), then to have consistent success, you need to ramp up your efforts a lot higher or nothing will happen. You’re downplaying the scale & importance this factor has on men.

I don’t think a discussion of what “society” expects can happen without discussing media - it shapes our culture.

I agree with this statement, but it still doesn’t change my explanation of why it doesn’t match up to today’s reality. Today’s media is not like how you described it to be because the culture we live today isn’t teaching men to pursue a woman after she’s rejected him hoping she’ll change her mind. That trope was played out in 80s media, not today’s media.

Like you said, these are usually pieces of practical advice, and different things try to “pitch” you on different views - ultimately it’s up to us to decide what we believe.

These issues are being touted by a large part of society (I’d say even society as a whole) and you wanna just shoehorn that to just “decide what you believe”?? How about we tell society to be consistent with that they preach (& I understand that takes years but we can’t just leave it in the air like that.)

Why should you make the first move? Because for better or worse, that’s the social contract right now.
    Why is that the social contract? Men have been cast as pursuers and women pursued.

I don’t think you’re being sincere here. The answer to your first question is society conforming men to their gender role and you wanna minimize that to “that’s the social contract right now”. And your answer to that second question ignores the fact that women have already been freed from their role, they’re just choosing not to approach as it’s more convenient for them that way.

Approaching someone you’re interested in is nerve-wracking, of course they don’t wanna put themselves through that. Many anti-feminists claimed, “feminists want the benefits of being equal to men but don’t want the responsibilities that come with it.” This is how you’re coming across rn with your replies.

so your primary goal in your approach is to make her comfortable.

I agree with this sentiment, but it still won’t make them feel less comfortable when we do approach. We can be as polite and respectful as possible, but many women assume men just want sex from them or assume they might do something worse. And this isn’t a few women, this is a lot of them. They already have a fear of every strange man she comes across like you’ve said, so it’s not just our efforts, it’s by sheer numbers of finding someone who’d at least give us a shot. A lot of single men are checking out of dating for this reason and are hoping luck will bring them a gf. The guys who won’t check out of dating are the assholes who couldn’t care less about women’s safety.

“Hey, have you gotten yelled at for turning down a guy yet tonight? I can try to muster something up for you if you want.”

I can tell you from experience that line you just came up here will make her even more uncomfortable guaranteed. When approaching a woman, your primary goal is to make her feel as relaxed when she’s around you so she can engage comfortably. Your example statement brings back horrible memories of yelling, and women often do base their decisions on how they feel in the moment when interacting with a guy. She’ll wanna get away from you faster when you frame it like that.

All in all, this feels like we’re going in circles with this. I’m now at a point of stopping this discussion with you weather you reply or not.

• vlakas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That I think takes the cake for the most hilariously bad pickup line I’ve ever heard 🤣. I guarantee that would make a girl uncomfortable.

I agree with your comments u/Mshuser, it seems like your interlocutor can’t understand that society’s expectations are the problem, not men’s sense of self worth. Again, unsurprisingly, they conclude that men are uniquely the problem and that this is an individual problem they must solve themselves with no help from anyone else.

In regard to the issue of women not making the first move, most men know that they will likely remain alone if they don’t initiate. Women by and large don’t initiate (there are exceptions, but that’s the rule), which I get. It’s nerve-wracking like you said and extremely uncomfortable sticking yourself out there just to more than likely be rejected. But then again, women are far more likely to get a yes than men are.

Ultimately, only women have the power to change this societal expectation. If you see someone you’re interested in, strike up a conversation with him or ask him out, depending on the situation, instead of hoping that he’ll telepathically know you’re into him.