Nitter link provided instead of Twitter post. Screenshot below.

• ijeff@lemdro.idOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

It definitely feels weird, but it could also just be a reaction to the significant criticisms at the time of the purchase and change of ownership.

• ImaginaryFox@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Integrity company here. It’s been a year since we partnered with known mobster Two Face and we promised you that he would have no influence over our business other than as a financier and we’ve kept that promise! As you can see his racketeering has been kept completely independent of our day to day activities. You can trust us and Two Face that we will be allowed to be completely independent and there is no tom foolery going around behind the scenes.

• Ovec 🐑@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

There’s a news/politics website in my country that had radio ads, billboards and everything with a slogan “Nobody dictates us what we should write about.”

This tweet reminds me of that and doesn’t really fill me with trust either.

BTW, the mentioned website is described as a “disinformation medium” on Wikipedia.

• chaircat@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I mean, their message is a little weird, but so is the hysterical scaremongering that’s been going on against them ever since they changed ownership.

There literally is no evidence they do anything unseemly with peoples’ data, yet the scaremongering persists. What exactly are they supposed to say other than to emphasize this fact? Anyone who would distrust them based on this post was already definitely prone to distrust them.

• Carighan Maconar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I see it more as a jab at the insane scaremongering when they sold.

Yeah sure, some concerns are justified in that situation, alright. But it’s not like you need to instantly drop something the moment this happens, more so because half the alternatives people recommend have trackers the very company that bought nova runs.

• Dave@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

“Insane scaremongering?” What an incredibly ignorant and biased characterization

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Is it? Don’t get me wrong, it’s completely understandable to be concerned, disappointed, annoyed or distrustful of such a buyout. Entirely understandable.

But at the same time, immediately coming to the conclusion that all data is now being hoovered up isn’t helping anybody. Because if nothing else, it destroys nuance. If you assume the moment an ad company is involved that all data is being gathered, then you lack the ability to make any further distinction. This would also mean that nobody could ever create a more ethical ad company, as users would still immediately assume they’re gathering all data, and hence be no better than any of the other companies. This in turn removes any motivation to ever even try this.

Likewise, and more relevant in this case, if users immediately assume the worst has already happened, then no company can ever try to sell to another company in a more responsible manner, as again the perceived result is the same, so there’s no incentive to do so.

What actually happened:

• Nova got sold.
          • The new owners might start gathering more data.
          • Or not.
          • Just as well, Nova could have started gathering more data without selling.
          • Or not.

From the perspective of the end user, other than the chances of more data being gathered in the future going up a little bit (and apparently not even all that much given that it’s been one year now), nothing has changed. 🤷

That’s what I mean: You cannot always immediately assume the worst will happen right now this very moment. Scaremongering precludes any sensible form of discussion or improvement to a situation, as one side has already decided that it’s all a lost cause anyways.

Now, should the new owners start gathering more data, then we can all toss Nova into the bin. And then say “Okay it took far longer than expected, but fuck ad-company buyouts!”. But so far that hasn’t happened, and hey, if anything it seems Nova found some buyers who don’t just trash the product they bought for some quick bucks.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Why do you need to trust a launcher with your data at all? Why does it ever leave your device? This made me very skeptical about them.

• gelberhut@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

A launcher needs a lot of privileges to do its work. I have to trust it that it does not collect/send anything to anywhere.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

My AOSP launcher has zero permissions, except one that I optionally enabled to see notifications so it can do the little notification dots on my app icons.

• gelberhut@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I was referencing usual launchers with a rich set of features. As fas as I remember, one can also disable most of the permissions for no a as well, but this will kill all cool features.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

I can see it requiring internet for integrating a search bar like it does, but why does their servers need that info instead of directly sending it to the search engine?

• gelberhut@lemdro.id
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

My only point was, that nova needs a lot of permissions on my device to make its cool features working AND it has access to the internet. So, technically it can collect and upload a lot of user’s data. If/how it does this, is a matter of trust.

And many people lost this trust.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Well sure, but that also means it’s rather limited in what it does. In theory if it had no permissions, it couldn’t even list the installed apps.

So I guess what you want to say is that it has some permissions, but none that leave the direct context of launching apps?

But even then… do you include a search box in that? Should that show recently opened files in apps, too? A rather common feature those contextual per-app run-actions, but they require some way of either the launcher getting this from the app, or in turn the app supplying this action to the launcher. Include a web search in that box? Sync settings? Show notifications? Gestures? All of these require a host of permissions.

• Bleeping Lobster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Just install DuckDuckGo browser app and let it block any the trackers, job done. I’ve been using Nova on a new pixel 7a for a couple of months now and really happy with it (especially vs the incredibly stupid stock launcher, with its un-movable pointless widgets taking up half the home screen)

edit the DDG browser app runs a VPN which blocks trackers, I’m not making it up

• xcjs@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Just so you’re aware why people are disagreeing with you - an installed browser does not change the behavior of HTTP calls made in other applications.

• Bleeping Lobster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’s not just a browser though, it also blocks trackers in other apps. Or is the DDG app lying when it shows all the trackers it’s blocking for each app?

Some few apps it literally breaks and need to have the tracker blocking disabled before they work again, so I’m pretty sure it’s doing something. It runs as a VPN afaict

• xcjs@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

If it does include a VPN provider, then you’re correct - it would work for other applications.

I don’t think it’s common knowledge for people who don’t have the app, so you may want to include information about that in your original post.

• twistedtxb@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I can understand the flak they’re having, but honestly Nova is the first thing I install on all my Android devices. Its so convenient and versatile

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I used to too. Now just using the default one because can’t be bothered to find an alternative

• itadakimasu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Can’t blame the dev for selling out. I would for a windfall and retire.

But it’s time to move on. Wouldn’t touch Nova with a 1000 ft pole.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s the thing I don’t get when people - me included - complain about something like this. As if I wouldn’t sell ASAP. Finally some money for all that time spent on this!

• Marxine@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Been using lawnchair since forever, I try to avoid closed source apps as much as possible, so Nova was never an option for me.

• jsnfwlr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The play store says lawnchair isn’t available because it was made for an older version of Android… The versions on F-Droid are 2 years old too …

• LiveLM@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Just wish it would get more development.
      The last Alpha is from August 8 and even then the current iteration is a shell of what Lawnchair was during the V2 Alpha days

• IdleSheep@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Consider using Neo Launcher. It’s open source and actively developed and is basically what lawnchair aimed to be.

• Marxine@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Great recommendation, gonna check it out since unfortunately Lawnchair is living on extended lifetime on my phone :')

• _comfortablyAverage_@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

is there any launcher out there which has got offline OCR support in recents like the Pixel Launcher? The custom rom I use(EvolutionX) does have launcher3 as its default(basically identical to Pixel launcher in every aspect, just without that Select/OCR in recents menu, and its got a bit more customisability since it’s open source), but being able to select images/text right from the recents menu without having to connect to the internet was something that I found to be a really powerful tool. miss having it handy whenever I needed it…

• Wistful
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Anyway, I just wish KISS offered a better widget customization.

• Dirk Darkly@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I love KISS. Anyone picking up my phone would just see a blank screen with seemingly no function unless you know to swipe.

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Mine just looks like a terminal with a pipboy scan lines background I love it so much I forget phones are supposed to have icons and can’t figure out how anyone can find apps without a search bar

• notenoughbutter@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

can’t figure out how anyone can find apps without a search bar

so true! I’ve gotten so used to just typing the first letter of whatever I wanna do and hit enter it even understands of I wanna call someone

• acrobaticpenguin23@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

True but I pair KISS with the Panels App and tuck some widgets into the side bar. Not perfect as I can’t get PowerAmp widget to work. 🙁

• SmugBedBug@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I made the jump to Niagara and have enjoyed it so far. I really enjoyed Nova, but there’s no going back at this point.

• glimse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’ve been on nova for like…a decade. What am I missing out on?

Nevermind, it’s free so I tried it. Definitely not my cup of tea…does anyone have any suggestions more similar to how Nova works? I like my icon gestures

• dsmk@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I tried the alternatives people were suggesting on reddit at the time:

• Some are clean (no trackers, etc), but change the experience too much and I want a traditional launcher.
    • Some work like I expect them to, but Exodus ( https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/ ) shows lots of trackers… moving from one that might track in the future to one that already tracks is not a good move.
    • Open source alternatives, which I prefer, either move very slow (Neo Launcher) or are dead.
    • Not all handle gesture navigation or Android 12/13 well.

So I’m still on Nova. I did upgrade to the beta as after a certain A13 update the stable version started bugging out, but that’s it. I use LineageOS and can remove internet access from apps, so that’s what I did. My hope is that Neo Launcher becomes more active, but until a few things are improved/fixed, I’ll stay on Nova.

I could just use the stock launcher on LineageOS btw… the reason I don’t is that it’s easier to backup an app and restore it after a reset/moving ROMs.

• SJ0@lemmy.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I was like “Wait, aren’t I using nova?”

And sure enough I was.

The fact that I don’t care is a good thing. It means it doesn’t piss me off and make me want to use something else.

• fne8w2ah@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Then again I’ve weaned myself off Nova Launcher last year by purchasing the Fold 4.

• ryncewynd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m still on Nova because it just works so right for me, many others I tried didn’t.

My needs are very basic

• A home screen I can place icons in specific positions (eg not forced auto sort)
    • folders (drag multiple icons on top of each other to create a group/folder)
    • Message count on icons, e.g my Whatsapp icon should show a little number indicating amount of new messages
    • and finally, an app drawer showing all apps in a single list (without any fancy grouping)

Maybe this is normal now but years ago Nova seemed to be the only one that offered all these basic features together

• ghostBones@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I wanted a consistent launcher across different devices over time. I eventually settled on Nova Launcher, paid for it, and really liked it. I have been using it for about a decade. I just abandoned it a few hours ago because I finally determined why my tablet was grinding and halting. Nova Launcher was using over 600 MB of memory as well as leaking memory. My tablet is running like it’s brand new again. I am unhappy about not being able to use it, but I’m a lot happier that I’m able to use my tablet again.