link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Installers and technicians at EmPower Solar, in Bethpage – concerned about poor working conditions and issues they faced on the job – reached out to the United Auto Workers after the gains it won during the “stand up” strikes at the big three automakers.

“If you’re afraid of heights, it’s not the job for you,” said Lozano, who was being paid $18.65 an hour, plus bonuses dependent on the number of solar panel installations he completed monthly.

The union-organizing drive stemmed from Lozano and other workers wanting their concerns and voices to actually be heard by management, he added, and to not have to work under constant pressure to finish jobs and worry about high turnover rates.

In the wake of its decision to furlough workers, EmPower had several job postings on its website, including for solar installers.

He added: “We should all be working together right now to make EmPower the best solar company in the world and a partnership between them and labor, setting an example for the new economy going forward.”

“We were told the green economy had to be a race to the bottom, and there was nothing anyone could do about it,” the UAW’s president, Shawn Fain, said during a US Senate hearing last November.

The original article contains 870 words, the summary contains 210 words. Saved 76%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!