Hi!

I want to get more into reading but books can be expensive and bulky.

I thought I’d buy a Kindle (or similar) since those screens are pleasant to read on, but I don’t know if there’s anything specific I should be looking for piracy wise.

Apparently amazon has added support for epubs so I’m hoping it’ll make it easier to load with my own downloaded books?

Also, the version names/models of kindles are crap.

Edit2: I’ve decided I’ll buy a paperwhite kindle (2020 version). I found a 2nd hand one, like new, for 80€ with a screen protector + magnetic cover. This way I’m still not supporting amazon :)

Edit: I seem to have posted this same/similar question yesterday but I have no recollection of doing so. If this is something you’re interested have a look at that post.

• ellesper@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Definitely the Kobo Libra 2 or the Kobo Nia. I bought both a Kindle and a Kobo Libra 2 and ended up returning the Kindle because book piracy was a pain. The overall Kobo user experience is just a whole lot more pleasant.

• dismalnow@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Kobo consistently makes better products overall, but the ability to avoid Amazon (and the nonsense that comes from their proprietary format) is priceless.

• effingjoe@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t know if this is what you meant, but Amazon dropped support for mobi and switched to epub in late 2022, iirc. Not that this means you suddenly should start using Amazon or anything.

• dismalnow@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Appreciate the correction! I haven’t dealt with Amazon for e-books since I got my first Kobo reader 5-6 years ago, so I’m out of the loop.

• effingjoe@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I am in a similar boat (with Boox) but I set up my old Kindle Paperwhite for my kid just a few weeks ago and that’s when I learned that they finally gave up on mobi.