• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

And it’s not uncommon for breast cancer survivors to be told to avoid soy to reduce the risk of recurrence.

• Erk@cdda.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That’s unfortunate if true, since there’s no evidence isoflavones have any significant cross reactivity in humans.

However I’m a doctor and haven’t ever seen this advice, so I’m skeptical it’s “not uncommon”.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Admittedly anecdotal, but every woman I personally know as a breast cancer survivor has been told this. Some went to MD Anderson even. I do share research articles with them to show them otherwise. Some are receptive, some are not.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Indeed, but some people will ignore articles if it is counter to what their doctor told them. Some will if ore their doctor if they have an article to back their preferred answer. Some will discuss the article with their doctor, or find a doctor who agrees with the article.

• kicksystem@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yep. Doctors aren’t infallible. That’s why you ideally want people to understand how science works, the hierarchy of evidence and able to deep dive into papers when need be.

• PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Soy has the downside of causing men to have a imbalance of hormones, as soy proteins can mimic estrogen and cause men to undergo physiological changes.