Does anyone know what is up with the giant pile of shit when you try to look up anything related to cern. Its like I’m looking up “area 51” or something.

• Goddard Guryon@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Apparently there’s a bunch of such channels that have all their content generated by bots: not just the title, but the footages and voiceover as well. They’re all clickbaits with content ranging from simple word salad to blatant misinformation. Kyle Hill made a video about it where he tried to find who was/were behind these channels (spoiler alert: he tried to report the channels to youtube and got his own video striked in return)

• root_beer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not just science-related videos either; I recently saw a video about the Taurus returning to Ford’s lineup, despite the car existing only as a rebadged Mondeo in the Chinese market now, and no such announcements being made anywhere for it to return to the US market

I really wish there was a viable alternative to youtube, it’s the only google product I consciously use and it’s pure trash

• SenorBolsa@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

TAURUS! Now there’s an American car with a shape and a feel we’ve never seen before! TAURUS! Now there is a personal car with exactly what we’ve been looking for! TAURUS!

Sorry I can’t get that out of my head so many years later.

• root_beer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

No, I get it, that song gets lodged in my head all the time too, hi-five

…sometimes, I’ll sing it to myself, raising my hand into the air as I reach the end of the line, and close it into a fist on the “Taurus!” part, like it’s some kind of overly dramatic Broadway horseshit

• Mummelpuffin@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

A viable alternative to YouTube is impossible unless it was managed by a state, pretty much. The infrastructure required is immense.

• Tookys@fosstodon.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

@root_beer

@Goodman @goddard_guryon

Same, the peertube instances are nice and all, but no real mainstream youtubers are really cross posting to peertube anywhere.

Alot of the high quality work is hard to move over to peertube as most sponsors are used to dealing with YouTube, and to make good quality content you’d need the reliable revenue stream.

• GoodmanOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Like, do people know that you can just go there and have a tour?

• NaN@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That would be too boring and the algorithm doesn’t like that.

It is crazy how much of this YouTube will feed you. Even if you look at tour videos you get into this conspiracy stuff on the first page. I assume there’s just a ton of this low effort garbage versus legitimate information.

• FlyLikeAMouse@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They only do the tours when the non-terrifying things are happening obviously.

Wake up sheeple!

• Thrashy@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I mean, who’s to say that the plot of STEINS;GATE isn’t real and SERN CERN isn’t about to unravel the fabric of reality with time travel paradoxes?

• Troy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

We’re just in a world line with different spelling. Obviously.

• can@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Everyone always complains about its algorithms but I guess I’m just lucky mine is trained enough to never show me this stuff.

• PinkOwls@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Ah yeah. I don’t know how often I’ve seen Betelgeuze turning supernova within 30 minutes in a live stream.

• millie@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Some things have become impossible to search for because of this. Like, i was curious if there might have been fossils found in pre-technological eras and if maybe they were related to the presumption of some mythological creature, but the moment I start trying to search anything about it every single link is some creationist insisting that humans and dinosaurs lived together a few centuries ago or something.

The Internet has become a bit polluted.

• Umbrias@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

On Monsters: An Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears Stephen T. Asma

This book covers this. The answer is yes. Elephant skulls likely informed the Cyclops myth. Griffins were likely from bones found in mountains in Arabia or something, it’s been a second since I read it.