• Doc Avid Mornington@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Because they are both terrible. I mean, don’t get me wrong, if we have to choose between them, Biden is so much less harmful than Trump it’s not even a choice, of course we need to vote for Biden in the general election if those are the only viable candidates. But Biden has actively opposed any climate measure sufficient to prevent the worst impacts of the crisis. Factually, Biden is actively trying to destroy civilization. He is a strong supporter of the antidemocratic and inhumane system of capitalism. He literally took away the basic human rights to organize and withhold labor from the rail workers.

Also, while this poll may give you the impression we need Biden to prevent Trump’s return, it isn’t true. Both the last presidental election, and this poll, are more referendums on Trump than anything. Manchin isn’t an interesting spoiler to throw in - none of the dozens of voters who think Manchin is better than both Trump and Biden would care to risk letting Trump win by actually supporting Manchin. If the Democrats put forward a progressive candidate, they would do even better against Trump.

• OwenEverbinde@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

What do you think of the IBEW praising Biden in the wake of their June 2023 victories surrounding sick leave?

“Biden deserves a lot of the credit for achieving this goal for us,” Russo said. “He and his team continued to work behind the scenes to get all of rail labor a fair agreement for paid sick leave.”

Do you think Russo (the IBEW’s railroad director) was being dishonest with this quote? Do you think he was playing politics and that Biden was no help at all?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I cannot speak to Russo’s intents or beliefs. What does that have to do with what I said? Please note that the IBEW had already agreed to the terms that were imposed. They are not one of the unions that had their basic human rights taken away. Even if they were, Russo’s personal opinions would neither justify, nor excuse, Biden’s choice to trample those rights.

• PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

How is Biden terrible.

He’s actually been probably the most effective president since Jimmy Carter. He’s got more shit done than Reagan, Bush senior, Bush Jr, Clinton and Obama and Trump combined times two.

And it’s not even close.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I mean, you’re right, yeah. In fact, I’d say Biden is significantly better than Carter. Carter is a very good man, but was not a good president.

But that only shows just how low the bar is. We haven’t had many decent presidents in this country. Biden is probably the best president in my lifetime, and he’s still terrible. My entire previous comment clearly states why.