• ashok36@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The best way to get more left leaning candidates is to move the Overton window left by destroying the repubs at the polls time after time.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Right. This isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon. One of the most frustrating things I’ve seen progressives do is not get everything they want and then rage quit politics without realizing that this is even worse than only getting some of what you want.

In one respect, I wish progressives could be more like Republicans. After Roe v Wade, Republicans didn’t rage quit politics. They pushed for abortion bans, lost, tried again, lost, and repeated until they got some small concession. Then they used that to slowly, over 50 years, build until they overturned Roe.

Now, obviously, I disagree with their goals. However, I can admire the long term effort put into this. If progressives could do this (with much better goals, of course), we might be able to do some amazing things. Yes, it would be slow at first and that can be frustrating, but imagine if we could have a country 30-50 years from now as far to the left as the Republicans are to the right (but much more sane).