Scientists have developed a simple DNA test that can identify 18 early-stage cancers that experts say could represent a medical “gamechanger”.

Cancer accounts for one in every six deaths worldwide, but early detection can significantly improve outcomes. Existing screening tests have drawbacks, including invasiveness, cost and low levels of accuracy for early stage disease.

Now US researchers have designed a test that analyses proteins in the blood and can pick up 18 early stage cancers, representing all main organs in the human body.

Specific blood proteins could already be used for early detection and monitoring, but until now tests have lacked sensitivity – accuracy of picking up those with cancer – and specificity – accuracy of excluding those without cancer, the researchers said.

• AlexWIWA@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Kinda worried about insurance companies using this to raise rates. Hopefully there will be legal protections

• surewhynotlem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My guess is that insurance companies will prefer this over the expensive treatment that comes with late start cancer treatments.

They’re not talking about looking at a person’s DNA and estimating potential cancer likelihood. They’re talking about testing the DNA of cells to find actual cancer today.

• AlexWIWA@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Oh I misunderstood. I thought it was detecting likelihood of cancer during someone’s life based on their DNA