• altz3r0@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Used to be a fan of Louis back on my days of computer repair shop. Nice to see he is still going strong!

But yeah, the writing on the wall is clear, and it’s not just Reddit. Imho, this situation emphasizes the importance of smaller, connected communities rather than massive social media platforms. We came to love massive social networks, but didn’t realize the consequences of getting lost in the crowd and becoming mere data points for profit. Small, connected communities offer a more personal and respectful alternative.

What we have here with the Fediverse is a gold mine. Picture 00’s phpbb forums, but all with access to each other. That just sound like a good time to me. It’s rough around the edges, sure, but it’s our own corner of web.

• RiseAndShine@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s how I’ve been starting to see this all as well. The seperate, smaller instances remind me a lot of 00’s phpbb forum, but it’s with the UX of Reddit. Lastly the intercompatibility feels comparable to e-mail: It doesn’t matter that I use gmail and you use Outlook, we can still send eachother an e-mail and both servers will talk to eachother without any issue. It’s the some of the best of many worlds and I’m feeling Lemmy and Kbin are here to stay for me.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What’s sad is that the 00s phpbb were a step back from Usenet and BBSs that federated in the 80s.

• root@u.fail
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Excellent point. Fidonet, Usenet, IRC, even email lists all solved this problem decades ago. And they mostly worked quite well. The web based generation was a step backwards in many ways.