“I can’t stress enough how often I’d hear a retail rep declare a genre/style/look was dead with zero supporting data.”

• Thatsalotofpotatoes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Kings quest didn’t have character progression or choices to be made (at least in the ones I played). That’s pretty core to qualify as an rpg

• abraxas@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Some of the KQ games had choices, but no character progression (one of the last ones if I recall, but it sucked). The QFG games had character progression and more choices than most RPGs.

• Shurimal@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Did they have a leveling system, class system and virtual dice rolls (explicit or implicit)? If they did, then yes, they were CRPG-s.

• Dojan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I mean one could argue that you do play a role in them, but I don’t think they fit the general definition of a role playing game.

Think their genre is graphical adventure game (as opposed to a text-based adventure game). Can’t recall if any of the KQ games have mouse support, but in that case they’re point-and-click adventure games.

Roleplaying games I think imply a bit more agency for the player, usually manifested in the ability to tackle problems in multiple ways, like maybe talk your way through something instead of a battle. Etc. I seem to recall the Kings Quest games were fairly linear.

• abraxas@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The Quest For Glory games are a real genre-bender there, but one could say an RPG is defined by a feel and not just a specific subset of the RPG mechanics.