Wasted Weed: Canada’s Disposal of 3.7 Million Pounds of Cannabis Since 2018 Oversupply has been a real issue for the cannabis industry.

• dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Pot shop on every corner in Ontario. Shops are usually empty anytime I go in. Picking up whole ounces for $100. It was a scam run by the province to sell dispensary licenses because Doug Ford only knows how to run scams instead of doing good business based on good policy.

• Sprawlie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Really depends where you are. But there’s a massive oversaturation in some areas. Downtown Stouffville for example has like 15 right now. Stouffville has a population of 40,000. but at the same time, they are also serving other areas who have no shops. For example Markham and Richmond Hill both opted to ban sales of pot in their areas, as well as public consumption (bylaw)

I hate Ford. But I don’t have a problem with anyone who wants a license being able to get one. Cannabis is a luxury product and like all retail/consumer luxury goods, there’s no need to regulate the business for “success”. let the free market sort this out. Yes some of them will fail. That’s free market.

If the shop you frequent is almost always empty, it’s likely because it’s not a well regarded shop or chain. The store I go to (not chain) always has people in it. Even when I show up at 9am for opening, there is always people in it. but it’s also a little further away from any other pot shops and has a good reputation