“It’s time we grow up,” says former moderator of jailbait subreddit.

• Tak@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Huffman said 97% of Reddit users do not use any third-party apps to browse the site… Huffman acknowledged that if those users instead browsed with Reddit’s own app, it would shore up the company’s bottom line.

Ok how the hell does 3% of users shore up the bottom line of Reddit. Something is extremely fishy.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Playing devils advocate, I suppose some companies have an extremely tight window where they rely on that last 3% after costs…I believe grocery stores operate like this…but reddit is not a food store, and I don’t know wth I’m talking about. (:

• erogenouswarzone@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Don’t get me wrong, reddit has been the worst for about 10-12 years now and keeps getting worse every year, but as long as we’re talking about this mysterious 3%.

How much traffic does that 3% account for? That’s the real metric. I assume it’s more than the avg user.

Also, what is an avg user? Someone that just wants a crowd-sourced opinion once a month is not. Is it someone that just looks at the front page and moves on? Does the avg user post? Do they lurk? Surely they’re not mods.

I realize all these questions are moot, as reddit has been utter garbage since a little before fatpeoplehate got taken down.