As some subreddits continue blackouts to protest Reddit’s plans to charge high prices for its API, Reddit has informed the moderators of those subreddits that it has plans to replace resistant moderation teams to keep spaces “open and accessible to users.”

Edit, there seems to be conflicting reporting on this issue:

While the company does “respect the community’s right to protest” and pledges that it won’t force communities to reopen, Reddit also suggests there’s no need for that.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/15/23762501/reddit-ceo-steve-huffman-interview-protests-blackout

• Lells@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

allow ordinary users to vote moderators out more easily if their decisions aren’t popular. He said the new system would be more democratic and allow a wider set of people to hold moderators accountable.

blinks loudly What could go wrong? 🤣

• kinyutaka@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh, I know this one! A bunch of Nazis are going to get together, vote out the mods of transgender/gay/Jewish subreddits, and turn them into uber-right-wing hate parades.

• AnonTwo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

While I do think that probably would happen

The most likely thing i’m expecting is people will vote out the r/adviceanimals /wholesomememes mod because of how much it was advertised that he took over the subreddit from the original mods.

Then they will put him back and disable the vote feature.

Optionally it just immediately becomes found out that certain mods can’t be voted out to begin with

• pizza_rolls@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m pretty sure spez wants the site to be a right wing hell hole, the admins actions on removing content certainly reflect that in my experience

• bedrooms@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It can backfire for spez, but I mean that’s a good feature given that some mods are indeed awful.