• V ‎ ‎ @beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Any word on what the hardware specs are? Someone there used their brain and loaded up SteamOS, but the hardware needs to be worth the jump or it’s just a steam deck clone.

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyzM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

They specifically said “it’s not a powerhouse”. It’s supposed to be a lower power device with a big battery, capable of playing less demanding games for a long time. SteamOS also makes a lot of sense for this goal, since windows handhelds get pretty terrible battery life in low power games. The price is supposed to be low as well, although it’s not clear yet if that’s just low by Ayaneo’s standards or if it will actually be cheaper than the deck.

• AndrasKrigare@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

That fits the kind of use case I would want from something in addition to the Deck. That said, I don’t know this is the form factor I’d want; what I’d love is something that could actually fit in my pocket like a Gameboy. This seems like it’d be a bit big for that.

• sleepybisexual@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Maybe look into emulation handhelds? Not really what you’re looking for but some small and cheaper ones run up to ps1 for 40-50 euro

• BolexForSoup@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I love my steamdeck, but I would hardly call it a powerhouse. You have to make pretty serious compromises on your visuals for AAA games with a few notable exceptions. Anything not well optimized can also struggle.

So yeah I’m down for a device that isn’t as powerful but if the gap is too wide it really is only going to strictly be a little indie game machine. Which is cool and but important to note.

• Fubarberry@sopuli.xyzM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Battery tech and x86 chip tech doesn’t really make a “powerhouse” handheld possible, unless you completely abandon the idea of it having any acceptable battery life.

There’s talk about the next few years being when arm and risc-v will start to replace x86 for windows/Linux, and that could possibly make a big difference. But I also imagine game compatibility and performance will be pretty poor starting out, so it’ll be quite a while I imagine.

• mr_MADAFAKA@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Probably they are going to reveal specs tomorrow (subscriptions open at 9:30 PM 1/11/2014 EST) maybe on indiegogo