There’s a patent number on the smaller of the blades near the hinge (2037943) that led me to a US patent from 1936 but it didn’t tell me a lot about this particular knife. Any information on time period, brand, model, cleaning/restoring, etc is helpful. Thanks!

Additional notes:

• I cleaned off a decent amount of rust with some soap and WD-40 but the inner workings are still pretty messy
  • The yellow layer on the handles is peeling off at the ends

Update: thank you all so much for the information! I’ve gotten a lot of information and leads on the knife. Still nothing definite on brand but you’re probably right that it’s a carbon steel blade with an ivory handle from about the 1950s. I’ll be tending to it properly with your information on proper cleaning and sharpening of a knife like this. I’ll post another update if I find anything more definite on brand/origin. Thanks again!

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

By the title and picture, I seriously thought you were trying to figure out what a pocket knife was…

• Lord Goose@lemmy.dbzer0.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Thankfully I’m a bit more aware of things than that. I have multiple pocket knives already but they’re all modern while this is distinctly not. I perhaps could have been more descriptive haha

• Pons_Aelius@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

The patent has a bit of detail.

Otto Ernst .Stiehl, Solingen, and Ernst Lohr, Jr., Solingen-Ohligs, Germany Application March 25, 1935, Serial No. 12,856 In Germany July 21, 1934 "4 Claims.

The patent is from German company of Solingen.

My guess is it is a german made pocket knife from Solingen.

Here is their current website.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Hm interesting. Looking up “1940s solingen pocket knife” gives me some results with either similar profiles or similar grips to the one I have. Nothing identical but it’s a good start. Thank you!

• TheActualDevil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

So building on this I did some light perusing on the internet and got a little hyperfixated, but found some tiny things.

This was the closest Solingen I could find, but the caps on the end don’t match and I doubt the little rivets would be completely hidden by the patina, so that’s probably not it.

Then on Etsy I found this posting That has one that looks identical but with no further information on it and listed as “Richards” (Richards, Sheffeild). And This one that just doesn’t have the smaller blade but is listed as Solingen.

I went to try and double check that patent number and I’m not finding what they did, but I also don’t know what I’m doing. The German patent office has 2 companies with that patent number, one for Naproxen and one for the moving blades on hair trimmers.

But then I found This guy with the exact same patent number on it but marked as Hammer brand. It’s very similar but has 3 blades instead of 2.

This leads me to believe that the patent is not for the whole knife but the blade specifically that was made by Solingen and sold to other knife manufacturers who affixed them to their own pocket-knife-pieces. With all this in mind, I’m starting to think it’s likely from Richards, so I refined my search again and found this guy as the best bet: knife. But instead of the patent number on the tang they have their own stamp. So my best guess, after a tiny bit of research, is that Richards probably made it, but it’s not their top of the line stuff with their branding but something akin to a “store brand” where they used their typical parts but used the blades from Solingen. I’m still assuming it’s Richards because they were the only brand I could find that made knives with all the parts (Same end caps, 2 blades, pearl handle with no rivets showing, shape) together. Other brands seemed to have some, but not all parts combined. But with the tang stamp being off, I can only assume it wasn’t an “official” Richards brand but put together by them and sold by another party as a cheaper alternative.

If you’re still curious, that All About Pocket Knives site seems to have active forums with knowledgeable people who could probably (almost definitely) find or know more than me. I don’t know anything about any of this and was just a bit bored this morning while drinking my coffee, so I definitely suggest asking them for legit advice.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Wow, that’s a lot! Thanks so much for the path through the jungle of old pocket knives! I’m gonna take a look at some of these points and see what else I can find.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

The picture isn’t clear or well lit enough to really advise much as regards what to do with it.

So I’ll tell you what not to do with it.

Don’t polish, scrub, or in any way alter it.

Seriously. You have no idea how easy it is to fuck up a nice knife like that. I’m not saying you can’t did what you want with your own property, you can. Just be aware that the more you do it it trying to “restore” it, or even clean it without knowing what you’re doing, the more likely you are to destroy any and all historical or monetary value.

You already went at it with wd-40, which is not a good solvent for this kind of job. Tbh, it shouldn’t be used on knives at all. You want gun oils, they’re designed to penetrate, lubricate, and do so without gumming things up or damaging things like plastic, wood, or even leather (usually). Something like ballistol or rem-oil is what you use. If you can’t/won’t shell out for those, go to the drug store and get plain mineral oil. It isn’t as good at cleaning, but it won’t damage anything.

Use that to make sure you’ve gotten rid of the wd residue in the joints.

Then, get some pictures in even, diffuse lighting, showing the blade surfaces on each side, and down into the interior if possible.

Normally, a knife this old, if it isn’t red, yellow, or orange rust, it’s not going to need any intense work. You just clean it with warm, soapy water, then blow it dry, and apply whatever oil you prefer (I’m a pretty die-hard ballistol guy, but any gun oil will work fine). Then you either sharpen it for use and have fun with it, or you set it up for display/storage (which can be as simple or complicated as you want, with varying degrees of work and longevity).

The only thing wd 40 is good for with knives is knocking things loose on bare metal. It can discolor or damage too many of the handle/scale materials to be worth doing it with an intact knife like this.

There, I did my bit :)

• ChunkMcHorkle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

It was a really good bit, especially about how not to damage it further. Thank you for taking the time.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I got some more pictures so hopefully this lighting works a little better. Washed in soapy water as requested and dried. I’m quite sure I’ve already messed some things up on it unfortunately but hopefully I can save it just a bit for at least usability. The handle material was already flaking when we found it and the inside is definitely pretty dirty/rusty still.

P.S. thanks for your help on this. Your response is really detailed and helpful.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

That’s freaking great! Awesome pics.

So, while I can’t see anything to give you more info about the knife itself, at least not any more than others have already covered, you are in position to be able to have a really cool little knife.

There’s no visible red, orange, or yellow rust. That’s great. The interior looks clean enough that you’ve got plenty of time to get a better product to clean it the rest of the way. Typically, the gun oil and a few qtips will get that level of gunk taken care of in a half hour or so, maybe less.

That means all you have to do is basic maintenance from here. Keep it oiled, and I do recommend the same things again. The blades are carbon steel, so a bit of an oil coating on them is good.

The scales are showing their age, and there’s only so much you can do with them. I’m 99% sure they’re celluloid (though my eyes aren’t what they used the be). That stuff is really pretty, but degrades over time, and there aren’t really any methods to prevent that. The best you can do is keep it clean and dry, away from sunlight when not in use. Some folks will apply other materials to keep scales like that in place, but it’s never perfect. I have done some of that in the past, mostly with clear epoxy and careful polishing, but I regard it as a last ditch effort, but once celluloid gets degraded enough, there’s really nothing else to do.

That being said, there’s likely a decade or two of life in those scales, barring accidents.

Sharpening is fairly easy on those older knives, but if you need info, just holla.

Nice little knife there, it’s cool to see someone taking the time to put it to use :)

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out! I’ll see about getting some gun oil and a small enough sharpener (the only one I own apparently doesn’t accommodate tiny pocket knives), and I may post an update on how it looks. I’m glad to see this little guy can be restored to working condition since a handy knife like this deserves a purpose, but I am a little sad that the scales might not have much longer (relatively speaking).

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You’re not the only one that thought that. I really need to clarify that I know it’s a pocket knife in the title so I don’t keep freaking people out as they’re casually scrolling.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

My father carried either one of those or one just like it. It was given to him by his father at a young age in the 50’s. Based on the other things that he had from his childhood, I expect it was a relatively affordable knife back then.

• Mom Nom Mom@nom.mom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

It sounds like ivory to me… (It flakes apparently. I think part of maintenance is painting a layer of dentin)

Deteriorated ivory tends to flake and peel along these lines.

(From This place which I admit to not vetting first - sorry)

• Bridger@sh.itjust.works
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Can’t help you much with the manufacturer. I can say that the blades will be a fairly simple carbon steel which will be easy to sharpen and will take a beautiful edge.