• pycorax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

For tech saavy, programmers, engineers I… don’t really get how you can use Windows at all until you are forced by your environment. Going from Windows to Linux to do work is just like going from ChromeOS to MacOS.

I do native Windows, Linux and Android development and much prefer working on Windows since I like the software and tooling there better. At home, I don’t really want to fiddle with Linux anymore than I want to. Spending 2 days trying to fix my work PC’s Ubuntu installation not being able to detect my Nvidia GPU has scared me off bothering with it.

Coincidentally, I did not have fun switching over to my Ubuntu partition at work today and finding out my Bluetooth mouse stopped working with it all of a sudden.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Ubuntu installation not being able to detect my Nvidia GPU

NVidia and Linux… don’t get along very well. They’ve also been caught violating the GPL in their drivers, resulting in the kernel being hardcoded to block them in some instances. There is good reason why Valve picked an AMD APU in their handheld

Ubuntu partition at work today and finding out my Bluetooth mouse stopped working with it

Modern bluetooth controllers store the paired devices on their onboard memory, rather than only in the OS (allowing your bluetooth peripherals to work in the BIOS etc). If the two paired device lists fall out of sync, this could lead to erroneous behavior, especially since you’re dual booting two completely different operating systems using completely different driver implementations to talk to your hardware

Just wanted to share why things are broken - not trying to persuade you to change your workflow. Use whatever works best for you!

• pycorax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Yea I get where you’re coming from. Unfortunately, my work requires me to use an Nvidia GPU so I can’t really budge on that front. It is what it is.