Amazon cuts hundreds of jobs in Prime Video and MGM Studios::Mike Hopkins, who oversees those units, sent a note to staffers informing them of the job cuts.

• blackfire@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

But they introduced the fee for no ads in prime. This is just another Corp money grab. They really disgust me.

• eleitl@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

And I finally canceled. It was the final enshittification straw that broke the camel’s back.

• Klicnik@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Noy OP, but I canceled all of Prime. I haven’t used anything but video and shipping from it for months already. Almost everything I want to see on Prime Video requires renting/buying or getting a subscription to some other service through Amazon.

We didn’t buy enough stuff on Amazon last year to justify the cost via shipping either, even considering Christmas gift purchases.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Seems like they thought if that: I just ordered coffee and Prime is claiming i saved $10 on shipping by using Prime. I mean, I wouldn’t have gotten coffee that way for a $10 shipping fee, but nice try

• eleitl@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Prime. Subscriptions with rebates still work. Prime video was already annoying enough with the ads at the beginning.

Killed Amazon Fire TV stick before, was on nVidia Shield TV pro. Will try to order stuff elsewhere in future, too.

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I love the Amazon prime ads I keep hearing about how you get ad-free podcasts and can listen to all your favorite podcasts ad-free. Then in the 2x speed disclaimer at the end it says some titles may have ads.

It really reaffirms my decision to never pay for Amazon prime.

• Hillmarsh@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The corporate price gouging and death by 1000 cuts fees have gotten out of control since the COVID era. Not just for Amazon either, though they are a very strong case in point. I am trying to do as little business as possible with these globocorps anymore.

• kandoh@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If they’d have just increased the price by 2.99 I would have rolled my eyes and paid it.

But trying to navigate me to the Ad Tier so aggressively left a bad taste in my mouth and now I’ll be cancelling rather than paying the extra money or sitting through ads.

It’s going to suck, these next five years. All the streamers are going to get this aggressive trying to get you on the Ad Tier, the only Tier that matters because that’s where the real money is at.

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

When Jeff Bezos could have prevented it by putting in some of his money. What a dick.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Bezos isn’t the CEO. He’s a shareholder, but if anything, he’s recently poached members of Amazon’s exec board, and has sold shares.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Seems like Bezos kept prices low to grow most quickly, but maybe they’ve shifted to maximizing profit now that they’re a monopoly