• OutrageousUmpire@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Freenom gives away domains, many of which are used by phishers and other bad actors. Meta is suing them for not being responsive to their complaints about this. And I guess the injury inflicted on their users by phishers.

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Wait, is it actually Feeenom’s fault? Isn’t it from whatever the server the malicious actions comes from?

For example I use one of their domains along with a Digital Ocean droplet, and I used it briefly to increase my seeding ratio by portforwarding my Qbittorrent port, after several months I got a letter from DO (which is amusing because my country couldn’t care less about torrenting lol) which I think is correct, I don’t think this is Feeenom’s fault.

• orclev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m assuming they’ve run afoul of something similar to the DMCA safe harbor provisions. Basically under the DMCA a hosting provider isn’t responsible for violations due to user submitted content as long as they’re responsive to notifications and remove the content quickly when notified.

Now that applies to copyright not domain names, but I’m assuming there’s some kind of similar law at play. Meta has said that Freenom has been ignoring complaints about domains registered with them that are being used for phishing attacks. It could also be a DMCA issue because I think it does have some anti-domainsquating provisions in it that prevent you from E.G. registering say cocacola.ml as you aren’t the holder of that trademark.

In theory depending on where Freenom is run out of they might be able to just ignore the lawsuit, but it’s probable that doing so will get them blocked by various ISPs and organizations.

• kratoz29@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Thanks for the explanation I think being Freenom a “free” entity they could care less about complaints, but let’s see hot this evolves then.

• Aux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Registrars not only have rights, but also responsibilities. They physically own the domain names and bear responsibility to ensure their domain names follow international rules.