• Rikudou_Sage@lemmings.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I think it can continue even without the source server? Like, once I press the Reply button on this comment, it gets saved to my instance (lemmings.world) then it lets all the other instances know, including lemmy.world (where the community is hosted) and slrpnk.net where you are registered.

Now let’s say lemmy.world stops existing, my instance still would let all the other instances it federates with know, meaning you could read my reply on a community that basically no longer exists. Though I’m pretty sure there are downsides to that (like, what if all the mods were from lemmy.world? There’s no admin who can add a new mod).

At least that’s what I think it works like.

• miles@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

meaning you could read my reply on a community that basically no longer exists

oh really? does it actually work this way? if lemmy.world dies, can all its communities continue to live on as long as there are lemmy instances out there federated and subscribed?

• Illecors@lemmy.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No. You would only ever be interacting with a snapshot-at-the-time-of-death of the community on your local instance only. It is the home instance of the community that federates all events, not the instance of the originating post/comment/vote/whathaveyou.

• miles@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Ah, ok. So if lemmy.world dies, but !somecommunity@lemmy.world was federated to 2 different other instances, those instances wouldn’t be able to “talk to each other”? They’d just have snapshots that they could locally interact with, but never see anything else? So is the fate of the Lemmyverse a graveyard of communities from dead instances?

• Illecors@lemmy.cafe
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Pretty much. I wouldn’t pay much attention to that, though - the absolute majority of the internet that has ever existed is a graveyard.