• iopq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

That’s why I thought she should just buy stocks and live off dividends instead. I mean, any investment has a rate of return or people would not buy it

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Yup, and housing shouldn’t be an investment. It can be affordable, or an investment, not both.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Then you should support less zoning restrictions and lower development fees to increase the availability of housing.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I do? But I also support laws that heavily tax owning secondary properties. Building more houses is not helpful if they just get purchased by landlords.

• iopq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Landlords follow market pricing, so if there’s enough housing the prices go down. Landlords are not the reason rent is high

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

Landlords are not the reason rent is high

If being a landlord is profitable where do you think that profit comes from? Logically landlord’s need to be making housing more expensive so they can get their cut.

• iopq@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Return on investment. Not everyone has money to buy a house. Home prices being high keeps rents high. Increase housing supply and it will resolve the issue

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

And where does this return on investment come from?

To put it another way: if a law was passed that owning a property you don’t live on is going to become illegal, there would suddenly be a lot of cheap property on the market.

• iopq@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

It comes from owning an investment. The stock market has similar returns to the real estate market.

But the real estate market doesn’t need to keep going up. For example, after the increase in supply of housing in Austin, the prices are down 16% off the 2022 peak

If this could be replicated for the whole country, it would improve the situation immediately.

I don’t understand the law you’re proposing. Would it apply to hotels? Do you need to live in the hotel you own? Apartment building? Hot spring resort? Ski lodge?