Dear all, as the title says I am looking for some advice on durable hiking poles and microspikes/crampons.

I frequently hike in the alps and people have told me that there really are no durable microspikes and that the best you can do are repairable metal links. I was wondering if any of you have advice and or experience with these items.

• jadero@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I can’t help you with the poles, but I swear by these.

I know that’s a Canadian site, but I’ve seen them in other stores, so I’d think they’d be available someplace closer to home.

I’ve had mine for nearly 20 years. Once winter hits, I wear them daily for my 5km walk and use them to hike out for ice-fishing, sometimes 10 km round trip.

I recently retired from the local volunteer fire and rescue. When they were looking for something for the members, I showed them mine. They brought in a few sets along with a variety of other options and these easily won the day.

Replacement studs are available, but I just use ordinary sheet metal screws. I’m sure that the official replacements must be hardened, but I just replace worn studs as necessary.

The only real downside is that they add a fair bit of weight. I just pretended that it was part of my fitness routine and now I hardly notice them. And they’re still lighter than my snowshoes.