• BossDj@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

As a teacher (not a reading teacher, not being defensive), I feel like this is the right track more than anything going on in education.

Not only is it a kids wanting their immediate gratification from social media, but parents are all addicted as well. And being stressed and all dystopiad-out. When I was a kid, I could go home and stop worrying about what was going on in the social spheres, but there is no escape anymore.

There seems to be a trend of parents spending way less time reading to their kids and needinh more alone time, and the kids aren’t demanding it as much because they are getting attention from devices.

The absolute best readers I get had parents reading to them, with them, and encouraging reading in early years to foster an interest for later.

• jopepa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

You have every right to feel defensive, parents, school districts, and politicians will throw you under the bus with these issues at the drop of a test score. Otherwise, same book same page. It’ll be a huge win for society when these cortisol/dopamine shufflers in our pockets get restricted for young people.

Thanks for all the sacrifices you’ve made to be a teacher. You’re awesome, and hundreds of kids will remember your effort.